Pilot hexapod gps

Hello Folks,
recently our team are developing a jant hexapod, 2 meters…first we bought a frenovo hexapod to know the software about walking.
it works with raspberry and have 20 servo with signal pwm.
now we have a emlid rtk base and rovere antenna with navio 2 but this have only 14output for servo.
i want know which expander i need to control from I2C port navio to controll 22 controller that movie 22 servoactuators with signal dir pulse enable.
Better continue use navio o normal gps antenna on the raspberry and command 22 servoactuator from raspberry?
thanks all!

1 Like

@crel70 Welcome to the RobotShop Community. for a 2m hexapod, you’ll likely need to move away from RC servo motors, or would need to consider some very powerful (and therefore expensive) RC servos. The Emlid system, GPS and almost all other electronics should be entirely separate from the design of the mechanical robot (which includes the actuators).

First and foremost, what actuators have you chosen for the robot? Do you have a simple document showing the dimensions and have you calculated the torque needed at each joint (static and dynamic)?

1 Like

Hi, i bought servo actuator with 3KN i tested in arms and torque join is ok and motor is stepper with encoder;
the only problem is controll all this 22 actuators all together, any idea?more mega arduino or raspberry, other platform?

Hi @crel70

In your first post you are talking about about PWM servo control, If that’s the case you could use something like our Lynxmotion SSC32U servo controller connected by USB to your Raspberry Pi.

All the best,

1 Like

Hi dear,
at first i said we bought freenovo to know about walking, but the final prototype 2 meters of course no servo, due size.
Do you HAve idea what i can use for controll all the 22 the stepper motor, for the big version walking?
Here the servo actuator with controller.
best regards

1 Like

We had a project in the past that consisted of 5 steppers and we used the Pololu Tic controller via USB.
For a project that large you would need a USB Hub but it might be possible.

1 Like