Picaxe 08M IR Computer transmitter

Hey guys, This is my latest project that I thought I would put up on the site to maybe give a little inspiration! What I have made is IR transmitter that I can hook up and use my GUI that I create in Visual Basic 6. Inside the little black box is a Picaxe 08M.

How it works.

1. VB6 program sends out 1 character through serial (picaxe cable) to the transmitter

2. Picaxe 08M inside the transmitter receives the serial character and decides what IR variable to send out.

3. Transmitter sends out the IR variable.

4. Project receives the IR command and performs the required action.

This setup only allows one way communication but suits what I have planned for future projects. At the moment on my setup I only have one IR led but plan on adding more in future to give it a wider viewing angle. At the moment I have to make sure the transmitter is pointing in the projects direction.

Any questions feel free to ask!

Thanks guys!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/picaxe-08m-ir-computer-transmitter

You are soldering on the

You are soldering on the wrong side of the board ! care to enlighten us :slight_smile: ?

Still rather new to

Still rather new to soldering my own boards to be honest. Did not know that there was a right and wrong side to it. Main thing is that it still works! I now know for next time! Thanks for pointing that out! :slight_smile:

Never used a GUI before

Can you give some details about your GUI and how did you make it talk/connect with picaxe microcontroller. ?

Sure,Basically you just add

Sure,

Basically you just add MScomm to your project and sync up your VB program with the same setting as your picaxe such as the COM port and baud.  Once the 2 are set up the same its as easy as sending out a command with via VB.  Here is my code that I put on a button in VB6.

Private Sub Command1_Click()
MSComm1.Output = "H"
End Sub

Thats it for the VB end then for the picaxe:

main:

serin 4,N2400,b1

if b1 = “H” then (do what you want)

goto main

Very simple once you get the 2 in sync. I had some help from some of the guys here with the setup. Any other questions feel free to ask :slight_smile:

Hi Quenel

This is really nice! I like it that it is flexible and can be moved between projects if I understand this correctly. What’s the range you’ve got with it at the moment?

I have to make me one of these when I find the time. :slight_smile:

Great job!

Thanks for sharing. For

Thanks for sharing. For future record, this kind of things might be better placed as “something else” rather than as “robot” :slight_smile:

Why are the PCB’s upside down?

All the components are on the wrong side of the PCB. Is this some kinda trade secret I don’t know about? Is it easier to get the parts back out if you want to change things? Why not solder to the copper pads?

Hey CTC. He replied to an

Hey CTC. He replied to an earlier post about this. Just a mistake; he’s new to soldering.

Quenel, consider watching a youtube video on soldering. It is worth your time, and you will learn a lot.

And I am an A-hole…

Wow, sorry 'bout that… I thought I had read all the comments (I usually do) before commenting. I had no intention of rubbing any noses into anything. Sorry.

But yeah, flip that bad-boy over.

**Oh! Oh! **

Behringer mixer in the background!!

Its a EuroRack UB1202 to be exact!

Hey rawbot!
Yeah, I plan on

Hey rawbot!
Yeah, I plan on controlling most of my future projcts with this type of setup. As for range, if you point the ir led at the project you get around the 5m mark. From there it will start missing some commands you send out. I more than likely will add some more LEDs around the box just so I can control from wider angles.

Oh my mistake, makes a lot
Oh my mistake, makes a lot more sense posting it there! Will do next time! :slight_smile: thanks!

I will definately check that
I will definately check that one out. Looks like I will help me out a lot! Thanks ignoblegnome!

Yeah lol, when I look at it
Yeah lol, when I look at it now, it really does make a lot more sense to solder to the copper pads!

That one there is actually a
That one there is actually a yamaha mw8cx, awesome awesome unit! I would not trust a behringer in my setups :wink:

Man…

Almost identical to my mixer. The color of the knobs, main slider, all the little “tape to…” buttons. Coulda sworn…

I will say this though, Behringers are super-duper awesome…   …when they are free from a guitar buddy…