Pepper robot leaning to one side when motors are off

Hi!
I have recently bought a used Aldebaran Pepper robot, that mostly works, but has one issue. When the motors are off (and it is supposed to be in the rest position) it leans heavily to one side. Then the motors are on it seems ok, although it does struggle a bit keeping upright. Now I had a look, and there are two rubber “bands” that pull the upper body down. But one of them is much tighter (too tight) than the other one. And that is what is pulling the robot to one side.

Imgur
Imgur

Now, I have contacted Aldebaran support, but as expected they want me to ship the robot to them for repair. Which due to the size and weight (it’s like 1.5m long shipping box, that weighs around 40kg) wouldn’t be exactly cheap. They say that the issue is with a plastic part that wears down, but didn’t give me more information than that.

Has anyone here had experience with repairing one of these before and has an idea on what could be wrong?

1 Like

Hi @roli ,

I haven’t opened this robot but I think the support gave you a good hint.

If you don’t want to send it to them, I guess you would have to open it on your own, and then check for the wear on the plastic parts.

I am also not sure where you could buy these replacement parts. It would be good if Aldebaran would want to sell this, or you try 3D printing those.

I guess these plastic joints with rubber bands are problematic. Also, if these rubber bands are in bad shape I recommend replacing these as well.

I could try 3D printing them or otherwise fixing them… if I knew where the problematic parts even are :smile: . Support doesn’t want to tell me. But by the looks of it, there is nothing in the upper section, so it must be somewhere in the lower section.

My guess is that it is in the section marked with the arrow. Problem is that I have no idea how to get to it. I fear like I would need to take the whole upper section off, but I am not sure.

Imgur

As for the rubber bands… those look to be completely fine.

1 Like

Interesting.

I found this guide online mentioning Rest action of the robot:

My question would be: Maybe it needs to lean heavily on both sides? Maybe left side is good, but the right side cannot lean to the end because the motor or whatever is not pulling this band enough?

I don’t think so. When you move the robot to one side (the one that isn’t pulling that hard) the band basically disengages (which is what you see in the picture in the first post). The one on the side that seems to be pulling too hard never does that.

Actually I think this is might actually be one band attached at the bottom. It’s just that the motor is pulling the band left/right to tilt the robot. And it seems like it’s in the “wrong position” currently because it skipped for unknown reason before I got the robot.

1 Like

Look at the photos from this user guide:

It looks like this robot has the same problem:

Yeah, it does look like the same issue. Sadly they are only showing the disassembly of the bottom part. But whatever is the problem must be located higher at the top of the leg section.

1 Like

There are some tear down photos of Pepper here:

https://inf.news/en/tech/4aa4ed3a51f8b5aebd5b2a1321c6a5f2.html

Yeah, that Nikkei article is actually a bit more useful. Sadly I needed to get through web archive to get the actual content. If anyone is searching for this (thumbnails don’t work, but clicking images seems to be ok):
'Pepper' Humanoid Robot Teardown (3) - Nikkei Technology Online

There is one clean picture that shows the upper body removed:

Sadly they never disassemble the part with the rubber bands. And the images still give me no indication of how to get in there.

1 Like

Yes, nice photos, but too bad they cannot help you a lot :slight_smile:

If you happen to open up your robot, please take some photos and share with us :slight_smile: