PCA9685 Problem

hey all of you,

its the first time i’m posting here, please be gentle to answer my question i require some assistance.

Actually we’re making a robotic arm, and we are using a power supply of pc. we have used 5 servo motors. now we’re facing an issue that On PCA9685, every motor can get the same voltage of 5V.
i’m using 5 different motor, (1 micro, 2 MG995, and the other 2 are of 20 and 25 kg).

And i want to provide the different voltages to each motor according to their functions. So how’s it possible? can anybody give any suggestions please? I’m totally lost

Hi @Tmalik,

You need to power each motor with its required voltage. The PCA9685 is just a logic level device and not a motor driver. Yes, you can control hobby servos using it but it will not regulate the voltage required for each motor.

The PCA9685 has a V+ optional power pin that will supply distributed power to the servos but it is not used at all by the chip. You should provide 5-6VDC if you are using servos and, if you have to, you can go higher to 12VDC, but if you mess up and connect VCC to V+ you could damage your board!

In case it is not clear, you also need to power the driver (VCC) with the logic level you want to use, which should be between 3-5V. but this is power for the breakout only, NOT the servo power.

You can find more information about the PCA9685 here

I also recommend checking this tutorial: