OPT_GPPLAYER

Hi,

I am looking at Xan’s Phoenix code and i see references to GP Player in many places. As i’m really new at this i have no clue what GP Player is? maybe some different input controller or SSC-32 firmware? I would be grateful if someone could give me some info on this please.

Kind regards
Ade

Hi Ade,

The GP stands for General Purpose Sequencer. You can read more about it in the older SSC-32 manual. Basically, the SSC-32U has an EEPROM external that can store 32768 bytes.
The first block of data [0, 255] contains pair of bytes (16 bit values) that represent the address of the sequences, as seen in the memory map. These are basically a lookup table for the sequences.
The sequences themselves are stored in bytes [256, 32767].

At the mentioned address in the lookup table, a sequence contains the following information: header, servo details and the steps of the sequence.

You can follow the example shown here (the EEW commands to setup the sequence) and afterwards play the example sequence using PL0 SQ5 (where represents a return carriage character), as shown here.

The SSC-32/SSC-32U has two internal “players” that can be used to play sequences without having the controller (in our case, it is typically the BotBoarduino) having to do any work other than the setup of the sequences (using EEW commands) and the requesting the sequence to play. It will then loop infinitely until told to stop.

Of course, this is very useful for hexapods, where you can setup the EEPROM with your sequences instead of sending huge amounts of serial commands all the time, by breaking the motions into simple sequences that can be called up instead.

We hope this helps clarify things a bit.

Sincerely,

Hello Sebastien,
Again many thanks for educating me, and thanks for your patience, another bit of this code i now understand :slight_smile:
I’m glad there are people like you on this forum who take the time to help us noobs understand
Kind regards
Ade