On-Asphalt Printing Robot

Hi guys,

Does anyone know the brand of the robot in the attached picture? It was taken while printing the ad on the asphalt of a formula 1 race.

Thanks!!

Seriously? You actually saw it painting? I think my mind just boggled…

I’m struggling with the idea on several levels, but it would be cool if true. I submit the following for consideration:

First, I thought that on-track ads were banned by F1 in 2002 after Foster’s managed to get an ad on the track for Friday and Saturday one weekend, but removed before the race on Sunday.

Setting that aside, the bot doesn’t seem very big or modular or well designed for that task. The paint tank would be entirely internal, which doesn’t seem a very good idea, as on-track ads must be large. That means lots of paint. They also tend to be multiple colors, which means that the tank, tubing, and nozzle would need to be cleaned every time the color changed. I would have expected an external tank that is easily cleaned and a modular design for printing different widths at the same time.

It’s clear that it has at least the potential for zero turn radius since the front wheels appear to either be casters or independently steerable. That’s good for a paint bot. The turf tires in the rear are very, very bad, though. They just don’t allow for the precision that painting in strips on asphalt would seem to need. Why the deep tread if the bot is typically on paved surfaces? Seems an odd choice. Also, no paint on the tires I can see. Spray paint means overspray, not to mention the potential for just running over wet paint.

I have no idea what brand that bot is. Anything like an ad-painting robot would get lots of media coverage in the F1 community. F1 is ad driven and tech oriented. I’ve seen full articles on helmet buckles. An automated ad painter would be HUGE, but there’s not a peep. I’m leaning towards grounds maintenance of some form.

Could you identify the track? I can probably chase down the info with that. I’m pretty intrigued to find out more regardless. I’m into robotics, racing, unique objects, new tech, automation, and solving mysteries, so I’m in. Any more info would help, though.

Sorry for not explaining myself well enough - it was not painting the whole ad but just the outer lines, then people paint it with colours. It is not on track but on the runoff area as we see in any F1 race. It was taken yesterday at Silverstone.

Perhaps it’s an architectural wall planning robot?

No problem! I knew we were missing each other somehow! I’m jealous as hell that you were at Silverstone!

I’m leaning more toward a parking lot painter. One color usually, with two at most. Neatness counts. Enough business to support the investment. Serious improvement in the layout time and labor costs. Nevertheless, I’m on it! I will report back with progress as and when…

Thank you! On it too from trackside.

I’ll keep toiling away while you have enough fun for both of us! Just ignore the muttered obscenities and count me #GreenWithEnvy. I’m awaiting word back from the Circuit on who does the runoff ads. I got nothing from searches or multiple reverse image searches. I’m a bit surprised because it almost has to be a commercial product with the uniform color and one piece cowling.

The quest goes on. Scream for me and please wear your hearing protection. I’ve worked pits and photography for 4 and 2 wheels. Hearing is a precious thing to lose, and a good corner exit location will have you ringing for weeks.

Cheers, mate!

@georgeprime1 Welcome to the RobotShop Community.

Voila: https://www.grassads.com/grassads-system/
https://www.grassads.com/making-magic-happen/

Also, it seems this company at least participated in the robot’s design:
https://www.mexx.com.au/services/design-engineering/

1 Like

I bow to the master. How was the trick performed?

Interesting product! I still want credit for my observations and conclusions, though!! They opted for rear wheel steering while I assumed front wheel to avoid the wet paint.

Google Image search using keywords like: “mobile; painting; robot; line; asphalt; grass; 2WD …”
Personally tend to use two drive wheels as the “front” (and one or two idlers at the “rear”) since autonomous path planning calculations seem generally easier.