Omni Hack a Bot Omnibot 2000

This is the start of a project I am calling the Omni hack a bot project… My first real hack…lol I have done other robot projects but this is my first hack… I chose to use the RoBoard 100 starter and the wifi mini pci …In wich I order today… In the past I have used Mini ITX boards… they are great but consume so much current. Matter of fact I have a robot I built with a mini ITX 2.8 ghz dual core but does not have half the features like the RoBoard… I will be tearing that one apart and using some of the parts and sensors…

roboard-cop.com/

[ATTACH]56[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]59[/ATTACH]
This is Bozooka

I will be posting more on this project so stay tuned…

Here is Omni before anything was done to him… For people that have never seen an Omnibot 2000 he stands about 24" tall an is operated by a remote control OR a tape deck that was programed to run a certain route… They were produced in th mid 1980’s ( 1984) by Tommy Toy Co. for the time they were an advanced robot… I would say the only personal robot on the market…I had one back then (showing my age now)

[ATTACH]60[/ATTACH][ATTACH]61[/ATTACH][ATTACH]62[/ATTACH][ATTACH]63[/ATTACH][ATTACH]64[/ATTACH]

Yes the gripper did work…:slight_smile:

Hi all well my RoBoard showed up today… I started fiddling with it I put all the connections on HOPING they are right…lol …They should give better cable connection instructions… Some of the connections do not show were pin 1 is on the cable and on the board… So I am hoping someone can give me an idea of which way the RS 232 cable goes ??? Now I am waiting on the SD cards should be here today sometime… I’ll put a pic of the board hooked up and running here when I get a chance :smiley: Anticipation is howling away.

OK here I go… I got RoBoard up and running…I taped the SD card in… LOL
I used a Sandisk 16GB micro SDHC… I threw a fat32 file system on it I it gave me 15,124.70 MB Not bad…I did it with a Dynex DX-EF101 USB Floppy…It worked Great and with out a flaw. I can attest that this USB Floppy works with RoBoard… I made the XP floppy disks… Tried loading XP and I got the dreaded blue screen of death. told me there was a hardware failure…:frowning: UMMM I tried it a few times the next few times it just froze up on me…
Now I am wondering what’s doing it???May-be some of you good folk can clue me in… I will take some pics of RoBoard booted uo…:slight_smile::D:D

So I ended that dilemma… I put the Micro SD in my reader writer and loaded 98 onto the SD card thru my comuter…First I went into the Bios and shut off my HDD’s Rebooted my computer and it picked up the SD as drive C…:slight_smile: So WA LA AA I am in luck! I then started the install of 98…The Install went good. Until the computer rebooted for the second half of the install. My USB keyboard did not get recognized, So being the mad scientist I said a serial keyboard would get picked up by 98… So I placed an order to get a DB 9 Female to Mini din PS/2 adapter.I am awaiting delivery…:angry:

P.S. I figured if I get a good install of 98… I will upgrade to XP :slight_smile:

[ATTACH]73[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]76[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]77[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]78[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]79[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]80[/ATTACH]

OK Peeps I solved my own problem…RoBoard-Cop is up and running strong… I used an old pig tale I had and got my PS/2 gear out and wala it worked… The Pics tell the story see below…
RoBoard with pig tail

[ATTACH]89[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]90[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]91[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]92[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]93[/ATTACH]

More pics of gear I used and The Birth of RoBoard-Cop Born july 25 2009:D:D

[ATTACH]94[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]95[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]96[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]97[/ATTACH]

Hi all …I am posting this from RoBoard-Cop…(Roboard)…It’s not to bad I thought it would be much slower… BUT! it’s preety quick…:smiley:

OH P.S> I am using a USB N wireless… instead of the wireless card I bought…

The RS232 connection can be found on page 12/19 in the RoBoard user manual where it shows the image (including where pin 1 is). The cable should have a dot next to pin 1. Which operating system will you use? We look forward to some pics.

As you have discovered, Windows 98 does not recognize a USB keyboard and mouse during the installation procedure, so when you arrive at the screen where it asks you for a computer name, you are left looking at a flashing cursor and cannot move your mouse nor type with your keyboard. You seem to have have found the right interface and we look forward to hearing your results. 98 is obviously not supported by the manufacturer as it is over 10 years old. Note that you can always try to install XP directly, and we have a Linux Debian 5 .GHO file you can play with if you want and you will not encounter any installation problems.

I saw this earlier today but didn’t have a chance to post. Omnibot Roboard retrofit is a great project. Is that tape deck similar to the old Commodore tape drives in that it records program data? I wonder if it could be utilized.