OK. Fine! You won. Big deal

All my projects has been mechanical excercises and/or remote controlled thingys.

And after I posted my first biped here I recieved messages like "It needs a micro controller!" For that reason I've refrained from posting any of my other projects...

I even posted a rant on the forum about that robots might be robots even though they dont have brains.

But, finally I've caved in to the relentless ranting of the LMR-crowd. I revieved my first shipment from TechSupplies yesterday, I unpacked it to find my very own Picaxe 28x1 starterkit with a ultrasound range finder, motordriver chip and a usb cable. And I'm as excited as a kid on christmas eve!

-so I hope the wife and kid will leave me alone this weekend, cause it's gonna be blinking LED bonanza!!

Robots and processors

Hello Maneuver,

Microprocessor, Microcontroller, Neural net or remotely operated, still all arguably robotic.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>I don’t think you need to have a microprocessor to be considered a robot, if we look back to the 60’s researchers at Johns Hopkings built a series of robots which used just transistor logic to exhibit quite complex behavior.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>On of the things I would like to explore is Subsumptive architectures (see Rodney Brooks at MIT) logic but using transistors as basically neurons.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>How ever having said that, I think you will enjoy your foray in to Microcontrollers, you will get a kick out if it each time you program a particular behavior and the robot does it, then sometimes you get behaviors which are totally unexpected.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>Also, I don’t think the “it needs a microcontroller” comments were intended as criticisms but as suggestions for the next step.<o:p></o:p>

all the best

Cliff

But, are you absolute sure,

But, are you absolute sure, 100% sure, that microcontrollers are a step FORWARD, not just a step further?

Ha! There’s something to think about on a hungover sunday:-P

It’s a good question

I am not sure microcontrollers are a step forward, if we look at W. Grey’s turtles, complex behavior from what amounted to two transistors or neurons.

<o:p> </o:p>

However, before dismissing microcontrollers and microprocessors they can be a good solution to a defined problem. The question is, what is the defined problem!<o:p> </o:p>I look at the lower order creatures, ants for example; they exhibit very complex behavior with reasonably small “processors”.

A number of researchers have gone down the analog path with some success, however this takes time.

Anyway the point of this site is to build robots and have a bit of fun, good luck with yours.<o:p></o:p>