Obstacle avoidance for use with APM/ Pixhawk

Hello,

I am hoping someone can answer this pretty easily, again am hoping.

I am looking for the best sensors to use for obstacle avoidance, weight is an issue the lighter the better but cost is not an issue at this point.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Consider a lightweight Maxbotix Ultrasonic sensor: robotshop.com/en/maxbotix-en.html
Maxbotix has an article “Interfacing an Ultrasonic Sensor with a Pixhawk or Ardupilot Mega” which explains what to do step by step.

Question is “best” for you seems light weight, but are ease of integration, outdoor reliability, precision etc. important?
You can save weight by opting for infrared, but that’s a lot less useful outdoors.

Yes, all of thee above are important.

Would you still recommend the same with all of these in mind.

Also, since you mentioned IR, any suggestions on a IR camera, looking for lightweight, best quality and a 150m range if that is available.

Thanks so very much this is very helpful with my project!!!

Not many UAVs use a camera for obstacle avoidance - it’s still pretty experimental (stereo vision).
Simple IR distance sensors: robotshop.com/en/infrared-r … nders.html
Note that the IR we carry don’t have anywhere close to 150m range, nor do the ultrasonic sensors.
You need to consider laser, which are not “small”, and even then, 150m is quite far: robotshop.com/en/lidar.html

Note that this might help with avoiding brick walls, but trees in bright light are an entirely different issue.
You really should experiment with sensors on a normal sized drone before trying to scale it down to something very small.

Actually, I apologize I turned it into a 2 part question.

I am looking to add obstacle avoidance with all these in mind- light weight, ease of integration, outdoor reliability, precision etc.

The IR information I am collecting for a IR Camera and Spot light setup for active tracking ie security application.

Thanks so much for the help so far, and I will be looking forward to your reply.

Given this new news, you might consider a camera system rather than sensors.
robotshop.com/en/raspberry- … ilter.html
robotshop.com/en/raspberry- … board.html
Your issue will then be the operating conditions / environment and a reliable pan/tilt unit which can operate for extended periods.
Note that the pan/tilt units we offer maintain their position and draw current, whereas for long-term use, you need something which locks (like a worm gear).
You will find many Raspberry Pi based security camera projects / code online, many of which are really impressive.
Last, regarding range, give that it’s a camera, it all depends on what shows up and its size.

Thanks for the quick reply,
You mean to use camera for optical avoidance or for security application?

My thinking was exactly the same, use a RasPi for camera and IR setup. However the reqs are for at least 150ft vision for security cam and IR light, and with the unit having obstacle avoidance.

With the camera link you sent, i could not locate a range distance for that, any idea how far out that unit will work?

William Vergonet

A camera & Pi can be used for either, but the suggestion was for the security aspect, since obstacle avoidance using a camera is harder to program.
Regarding the camera’s “distance”, keep in mind that it’s all pixel-based, so there is no “min / max” distance - it will all depend on how many pixels appear and if the camera can recognize the motion / object.
A single camera moving towards a solid surface won’t be able to tell distance at all, whereas another sensor, which measures time of flight, will. Two very different technologies / applications.

Ok great, yes this is two systems in one.

And yes both very different.

Ok, so for better understanding, i want to use the Raspi w/ camera for the active tracking and search and find.

I will be using, the sensors for obstacle avoidance.

What are your thoughts on the
RPLIDAR A2 360 unit for obstacle avoidance?

It was never suggested because you had indicated 150m distance (it’s limited to 6m). It’s a great unit for 2D obstacle avoidance. but some lowering of specs in full sunlight.

Ok, my apologies.

The 150m is for the IR Cam, and IR spotlight part of the build. Which actually only needs to be 150ft my boss had the incorrect distance.

The obstacle avoidance is not needed at a distance of 150m, as I already knew this was unreasonable request.

So that’s what lead me to the 360 degree unit.

Again, I can’t thank you enough for the help.

Just a note: APM is dead obsolete Kputt! https://www.robotshop.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Lidar 3D with no moving part is far superior to simple IR beam from cheap module.
youtube.com/watch?v=h7nHfaY6He0

youtube.com/watch?v=Qbo9mGAFkqc

So here is one… benewake.com/en/ce30.html?gc … gK7X_D_BwE

Cheers
Henri

hiee… can i connect lidar lite v3 in apm 2.8 flight controller.