Newbie building a hexapod

Hi,

I am working on building a hexapod using 18 servos, a botboardunio, and a SSC32 servo controller. I am trying to figure out what to use to power it and am confused. Reading the tutorial on lynxmotion they are using a 9V battery to power the logic part and a 6V battery to power the servos. I have been reading about people using a single battery and using battery elimination circuits. I would prefer to use one battery if I can.

Can anyone recommend what to use for power and how to wire it?

We normally suggest s 6V 2800mAh battery:
robotshop.com/en/6v-2800mah- … ttery.html
robotshop.com/en/wh-01-wirin … ector.html
robotshop.com/en/nimh-nicd-s … -1025.html

The 9V battery is for VL in the event that the servos draw high current, the 6V output might drop and cause a brownout.
If you find that your robot works well at 6V and doesn’t brown out (i.e. go limp and lose power), then you don’t need the 9V battery.

Thanks for the reply. So I would connect the 6v battery to VS2 and VL on the SSC32 and VL on the botboarduino?

We offer a wiring diagram here: lynxmotion.com/images/data/l … _guide.pdf (Page 21)

Thanks I will read through it. I was just seeing this one lynxmotion.com/images/html/build99f.htm

Thanks for the info. I read through the guide and I think I get it now. I just need to connect a 6V battery to VS1 on the SSC32 board, leave the VS1 = VS2 jumpers on, and connect VS2 on the SSC32 to VL on the botboarduino. I am guessing I was seeing people using the BEC’s because they are using lipo packs and need to drop the voltage. I am going to just start buy using a 6V NIMH pack and keep is simple.