New Old AL5D Robotic Arm Combo Kit with RIOS Software

I took a new teaching job last August, and while digging around through a storage closet, I came across two still sealed up bags, each containing a Lynxmotion AL5D Robotic Arm Combo Kit with RIOS software. I’ve opened one of them to see exactly what was inside. It appears that the main controller is an SSC-32 Ver 2.01, with a serial port connection. There is a software disk labeled "Robotic Arm Interactive Operating System V1.06 Code: RIOS-02.

I have a few questions:

1. Where do I find the build instructions to put this thing together?
  2. Is it possible to use a USB to serial port adapter (if such a thing even exists - I haven’t researched that yet) to use the more modern operating systems available for the current version of this kit? Would this board even run a newer OS?

I’ve handed one of these kits off to a student who felt like taking on a challenge (and honestly, needs to earn some serious brownie points with me, and knows it), but he’ll need build instructions. I don’t doubt that we’ll get it built - but getting it to do something- afterwards would be pretty nice! I will use these in classroom instruction (Industrial Technology) if they can be made to work.

Thanks!!

@FStegall Welcome to the RobotShop Community.

Q1) Where do I find the build instructions to put this thing together?

Follow these step by step. There are some areas which need special attention like step 4 here:
http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build143b.htm
Also, when connecting the servo horns to the brackets (they need to be at the proper angle)

Q2) Is it possible to use a USB to serial port adapter (if such a thing even exists)

The controller you have is on the “older” side. The more recent one is USB and doesn’t need a separate battery:

Q3) I haven’t researched that yet) to use the more modern operating systems available for the current version of this kit? Would this board even run a newer OS?

RIOS is quite old. You might enjoy this (best to use the SSC-32U above)

If there are parts missing from the bags, everything is available separately. We’re here to help.

1 Like