New custom hexapod - Kodama!

so as long as my tibia to femur join where the servo from the tibia connects to the femur and the tibia to floor joint is within those specs, im fine right? I can have the actual leg design longer than that, but as long as my joint distances stay between those im fine?

That’s what worked for me with a 645 as the femur and 485s as coxa and tibia. Bumping them up to 645 I don’t think would have helped, since the bulk of the torque rides on the femur.

Im doing 12 645’s and 6 485’s. im going to order 1 of each servo first so i can get my own measurements for my design.

thanks sandstorm!

Cool. The measurements can be found in datasheets online though, like this one:
phidgets.com/documentation/P … _hs645.pdf

yeah i was using those, but i wanted the center point of where the servo joins to the femur, id just feel more safe if i had them in my hands lol. im a visual person.

Sorry to be annoying :stuck_out_tongue: but your top and bottom plate dimensions are from the joints i drew in the picture below right? or from the middle joints?

img152.imageshack.us/img152/8093/image4yjy.jpg

Asking questions isn’t annoying :slight_smile: It’s from the middle joints actually.

So it’s now time for another revision of the robot. In the meantime I have built a 3d printer, and have made a bunch of new parts to strengthen the bot.
I plan to rework the power system to use a single 7.4V lipo battery, which will reduce weight considerably. Then with the extra room I have, I plan to add a raspberry pi and use openCV for face tracking.

Some questions for the community:

• I work at Intel, so I can get cheap Galileo boards. Is this worth pursuing? Has anyone tried doing a multi-leg with Galileo? I feel like a bluetooth controller would be better than the PS2 I’m using, but maybe if it ain’t broke…

• The other option is stacking an RPI, which would take more physical room, but might work better overall, plus more documentation available.

Thoughts anyone? I’d love to hear your opinions on the best way to go.

Galileo? I tried one and it may have some benefits, like more processing power and memory and the like, but did not use it much as the IO speed was very slow for almost everything. More thoughts on it in the thread: post-p89454
I have not touched it in maybe 5-6 months, so don’t know, but maybe they have improved it some since then. There are some other Intel based boards out there that could be fun, like one of the Intel NUC’s…
Or the new minnow board? linuxgizmos.com/intel-unveils-ti … -open-sbc/

Best way to go? That is always a difficult one to answer.

RPI - My T-Hex runs on one. On a whim I purchased a new 2+, which arrived maybe a week ago, which I may replace the RPI in the T-Hex. Why? More USB connections, also supposedly handles power usage on the USB better, so I should be able to remove the powered USB hub I put on the T-Hex. I also picked up a display for it as well: adafruit.com/products/1983

BBBK - But then there is BeagleBone Black: adafruit.com/products/1876. I like these boards, (Mine is a Rev B, sometime may get a Rev C). These run a little faster than RPI, Have more IO pins. Have Capes which are like shields… Fast IO pins (can be really fast if you use the PRUs…)

ODroid - Two versions (hardkernel.com/main/main.php) These really out preform the RPI or BBBK. U3 (quad core 1.7ghz 2g ram) and the new XU3 (8 cores… One issue with these, is currently most order direct from Korea with something like ($40 shipping). They now have a distributor for EU and at one time was looking for one over here…

But with all of these Linux boxes, there is a very steep leaning curve. Also they all take awhile to boot up, … But if you wish to use openCV may be your main option.

If however you just simply want some more CPU speed and memory… I am personally having a lot of fun using the Teensy 3.1s, which I have spent probably way too much time on and should get back to some of the Linux stuff. But I am having fun!

Kurt

what about something like a zotac pico with z3735 atom?

im in the early stages of a project after becoming inspired (nay, obsessed!) :slight_smile: by matt bunting’s v4 hexapod and was planning to use one in place of the fitpc2 he started with (he has recently had it running with an edison)

edit: like this
media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/6c/bc/b2/6cbcb25889738bde745c519a30e104e2.jpg

this years ces has also seen the debut of intels compute stick with the same cpu as the zotac pico