New custom hexapod - Kodama!

Hi,

You’ve done some good progress on your bot lately!
I would recommend using a 2S LiPo combined with a 6v UBEC regulator. Connect the electronic directly to the 2S LiPo mains and the servos to the regulator. I recommend using a main fuse, just to be sure. LiPo’s has much better energy/weight ratio and you only need one battery. 2000 - 3000 mAh 20-30C should be more than sufficient.

Awesome Zenta, thanks! Much of my inspiration came from your morphex and a-pod, so it’s cool to have you checking out my bot.

For the 2S, what is the base voltage?

7,4 v
The “working” range is about 4,2v to 3,3v per cell. Not recommended to discharge under 3v.

Hey Zenta, I’ve ordered the battery and charger, but can you recommend a UBEC? There are a ton of different ones, and I’m not too sure which to get.

I’ve been using Turnigy 8-15 amp UBEC for several years now. I’m on my phone not sure if the link work hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/catalog/TR-UBEC15.jpg

Thanks, this is really going to improve my bot, and allow me to add a raspberry pi which I will use for AI programming.

EDIT: Just thought of something. If I’m going to need 5V to the raspberry pi, should I use the arduino 5V out, or get another UBEC regulator from the battery?

Not sure, you’ll have to check the requirements of the PI and the specs on the Arduino 5v output. Like you said, another smaller UBEC is an option too.

Don’t worry guys, Kodama isn’t dead… just waiting for parts I ordered that could take up to a month!

Phew… Good to here.
I spend an awful lot of time waiting for materials to arrive. Sometimes i think Im being smart so i preorder, but then something will change in the design or something and it then just becomes part of unused stock. Lol

look forward to seeing it.

nice, cant wait for some updates!

also what are you using for controlling it? like arduino with a ssc or something? im really confused on what the ssc, botboarduino and atom and stuff are.

thanks!

and get some updates!

Personally I’m using an arduino mega to control the bot. Kurte has done a monster job with the port, which you can find on this forum.

I’m going for a big update, but I’m in the middle of building my 3d printer, so I will soon be able to manufacture my own parts.

So mega with a ssc? or just the mega?

Mega with SSC, definitely.

Hey sandworm, sorry to bother you again, but do you mind giving me some measurements of how big your hexapod is? im not really sure how big to make mine, and dont wanna make it too big or too small.

and any updates on kodama?

Haha you’re not bothering me. I got a lot of help from the community, so whatever I can give back is great. I’m still engrossed in getting my 3d printer working, so I probably won’t be releasing any updates too soon (they’d be behavioral only anyway). I’ll measure up the bot tonight and post an answer.

thanks man. take your time

Hey sandstorm, you get any of the measurements?

Hey, sorry, been busy. The top and bottom body plates are 11 1/2 x 7 1/2 inches. Distance from femur to tibia joint is 3" and tibia joint to floor is 4". I would highly recommend not going beyond these, my bot couldn’t walk at first until I shortened the legs.

Thnak man. But that seems really small no?

It’s actually bigger than you might imagine.