New batch of PS2 controllers do not work on 5vdc

Well the new batch of PS2 controllers do not work on 5vdc. We need to make a breakout board of sorts for the PS2 receiver on this last batch. Thinking lets kill two birds with one board, because it will eliminate the need for the PS2 cable as well. Simple servo extenders can be used to connect it. This was drawn up in a rush. I will add more info tomorrow.

Hi Jim,

Not sure if you wanted the board to be with surface mount components or if you wanted with axial leads…

Here is a quick and dirty with surface mount. Note: for the heck of it I put on the ability to add PU resistors to DAT and CLK… Also I put the pins in the order to make it quick and easy to use 2 servo extension wires without having to re-arrange pins. Simply plug in B/R/Y B/R/Y and …

DipTrace-Schematic---PS2-Vo.jpg

Note: the board shown is 1.5" tall by .6" wide. Can be smaller. The 1.5" is I think about the width of the current plug.

I received the package this afternoon with the new controller and it sure has a different board in it than the previous ones :open_mouth:

Kurt

Also did another quick and dirty with through hole… This time added 7th pin, so you can get the Ack. But put at bottom so we can still simply use 2 unmodified servo extensions…

Also not sure if the board should extend to edge of 90 degree pins or we should just let them hang out…

Kurt

Sorry for the delay. Yes this is the idea. Make the board as tall as the green out line for the PS2 connector. Retain the through hole resistors, but add back in the SM resistors and components. My thinking is if the user needs different values they can yank off the SM and install through hole. The board can extend enough to cover the servo extender cables like you mentioned. I really appreciate the effort! We may offer them for others to attach to their PS2’s as well.

Maybe something like:

Kurt

That’s a beauty! I will have the resistor values double verified tomorrow. Then we can make some boardage to test. Thanks so much!

Hi Jim,

I have included a zip file here that has the schematic and layout files, plus the gerber and drill files. I believe the zip file has everything that is needed to send to pcbfabexpress or the like. The 3.3v converter(ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/D … 21826b.pdf) I used on it is the same one I have on my newer Arduino shield and I believe is the same one used by Mike on the SSC32NG… I am using the SOT23 component. There are probably several others that would also work…

Kurt
PS2VC.zip (28.2 KB)