Need Recommendation - New Project Robot that I can connect to with APIs

I’m looking to build a new project robot. What I’d like to be able to do is one of two things.

1. Purchase a bot that includes everything to drive it, some sensors/functions, etc that can be commanded via API or,
  2. Buy a mobile platform that I can mount my own Raspberry Pi and sensors on.

Budget is just under $1600 for the pieces described above.

for reference, i’ve looked at these

• List item

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

jA

1 Like

@jase700 Welcome to the RobotShop Community. Based on the two robots you listed, you’re specifically looking for a legged robot, correct?

1. Purchase a bot that includes everything to drive it, some sensors/functions, etc that can be commanded via API or,

Both platforms you listed have all basics included.

1. Buy a mobile platform that I can mount my own Raspberry Pi and sensors on.

The Lynxmotion mechDOG is intended to be expanded, so indeed, you can mount a Pi and additional sensors. The JetHexa is NVidia Jetson-based, so no Raspberry Pi (and not meant for additional sensors)

You’ll need to list a few more “wants” or “requirements” in order for us to provide additional suggestions. Happy to help and look forward to your reply. For example:

• Most APIs do not allow users to add “any sensor”, so you’ll need to do programming on your end - how comfortable are you?
  • Do you have an idea of how much additional weight all the sensors / electronics will be?
  • Do you have a preferred shape of the robot (quad / dog, vs. hexapod vs. wheels or tracks?)
  • What do you want to program / what’s the application?
  • etc.
1 Like

Thanks for your quick reply.

In the past we did this by basically buying a mobile platform and Raspberry Pi separately. I also looked at something like this DGI Model where we could potentially use Robotic Process Automation bots to invoke the commands we create on the bots software.

Relative to adding sensors, we were able to figure all of that out on the Raspberry Pi on the last go around, so I’m not too worried there. What I was trying to figure out is on these bots that are powered by Jetson or Raspberry that are all in one, can I plug in additional sensors over what comes with them (think temperature, chemical detection, etc) and have access at the OS level to invoke commands remotely.

As far as preferred shape, in order

1. tracked or wheeled vehicle with controllable arm
  2. Hexapod or Dog
1 Like

What I was trying to figure out is on these bots that are powered by Jetson or Raspberry that are all in one, can I plug in additional sensors over what comes with them (think temperature, chemical detection, etc) and have access at the OS level to invoke commands remotely.

Depends on the platform really. For example with mechDOG, you’d need to purchase the LSS-5VR and the Raspberry Pi, and then it’s really up to you what you’d like to do with it. The motion code is running on a separate microcontroller (LSS-2IO), leaving the Pi to do whatever you want (interface with sensors etc.).

There are lots of combination base + arm, as well as hexapods and quadrupeds, so it’s really up to you. You wrote “we” - are you doing this as part of a company? School?

For slightly more:

API is already there:
-Access to all key robot’s functions, including precise location data, odometry, 12 x 1D Lidars for obstacle detection, motors, power, ultrasound sensors, radio, WiFi, Bluetooth, speakers, etc.

Mounting holes available on top for: Raspberry Pi, Jetson Nano, Arduino boards.
Or you can run the SW on the internal Raspberry Pi.

Multiple interfaces from basic IO ports, UART, SPI, to 7 x USB for your sensors and expansion.
Power for external devices.
Switchable source (+5V, +12V), ground switch) controlled by SW.

No need to wait. Three units are ready for shipment right away.

We will be happy to answer your additional questions: [email protected].

Freenove also has platforms that meet your requirements.
Their platforms support for Pi, ESPs and Arduino
They also have an Amazon based store which can be accessed by just typing in “freenove” in the search bar when on Amazon. The kits are expandable both in language used to program the platforms and also sensor expandable.

Hope this helps!