Need help selecting controller

I would like some help selecting a controller to open a doggie door. I’m planning on using a small 12v DC linear actuator which I think I understand, but need a controller that is capable of sending a signal to the motor to activate (open) it when the sun comes up and another signal (to close it) when the sun goes down.

Alternative is to have a timer such that open signal can be set at 7AM close signal at 7PM - (or similar setable times).

The actuator will need to produce the open or close signals for something like 10-20 seconds. The motor should automatically stop when open or closed due to limit switches in the actuator.

All will be 12 v DC as this is in a remote area and will only have 12v power

Hello @DKel70 and welcome to the RobotShop community,

To choose a Motor Controller you would have to take into account the actuator’s specifications, so you first need to choose the actuator.

To activate it when the sun comes up/down you will need a microcontroller and a light sensor. Or if you want to activate it according to the time you can use a programmable motor controller
or a cheap microcontroller.

A good option would be using an Actuonix Linear Actuator compatible with Arduino (-R or -I series)