Need help for a much slower conveyor

Hi! Everyone this is my first adventure and I need your expertise.

I require your help regarding a problem I’m encountering.

Description:

I am prototyping a biological process that needs to feed onto a very slow conveyor, in a range spanning 0.01 mm to 10 mm per hour.

I’m controlling the setup using the Lynxmotion (LSS) - Configuration Software software through the Lynxmotion (LSS) - Adapter Board. From what I’ve been able to figure out, the LSS-HT1 servo seems to be speed controlled by current and the lower limit is still too fast by about a factor of ten.

I’m trying to avoid jerry rigging gear ratios into the setup. I’m sure there are hardware and software solutions to my challenge. But I’d like to know what you all would do? What is the easiest way to get everything to move 10x slower? Can I simply purchase and dropin a different motor? Is there a way to automate turning the motor on and off to simulate slower movement?

Hardware concerned:

Lynxmotion (LSS) - Conveyor HD Kit & LSS-HT1
and Lynxmotion (LSS) - Adapter Board (USB Type-C)

Software concerned:

Lynxmotion (LSS) - Configuration Software

Troubleshooting steps already taken:

Additional information:

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

That’s actually incredibly slow. You can calculate the angular speed needed given a driving wheel of ~31mm, using v=w*r. Remember to convert from radians per second to revolutions per minute (rpm).

From what I’ve been able to figure out, the LSS-HT1 servo seems to be speed controlled by current and the lower limit is still too fast by about a factor of ten.

The speed control of the LSS is based on something similar to a PID algorithm (in position mode) while raw duty mode is (RDM) is direct PWM control of the onboard motor controller. The Lynxmotion smart servos simply cannot rotate that slowly, and it will be quite difficult to find a gear motor able to rotate at that speed with smooth motion. The second issues is at that speed, even the smallest imperfections of the gears will cause play.

The Lynxmotion HD conveyor can use either a Lynxmotion Smart Servo or a Spur gear motor (with specific mounting pattern). Some of the slowest spur gear motors which are mounting compatible include:

These are operated very differently from the LSS-HT1. You would need a DC motor controller. If you want to send commands from a computer, ideally a DC motor controller with USB input.
https://www.robotshop.com/en/serial-motor-controllers.html
Ex: Pololu Jrk 3A 8-28V USB Motor Controller with Feedback (with headers) - RobotShop
Ex: RoboClaw 2x7A, 6-34VDC Regenerative Motor Controller - RobotShop

Additionally, you would need a separate power supply, though if you already have the Lynxmotion power supply with XT60 connector, you would only need an XT60 to bare wire cable.

I’m trying to avoid jerry rigging gear ratios into the setup. I’m sure there are hardware and software solutions to my challenge. But I’d like to know what you all would do? What is the easiest way to get everything to move 10x slower? Can I simply purchase and drop in a different motor? Is there a way to automate turning the motor on and off to simulate slower movement?

Hope this helps,