Need device to shorten and lengthen connector for assisted walking apparatus for Parkinson's

Im trying to build this walking assist device for Parkinson’s:

As I am a new poster to this site, i cannot paste the link to the video of this device in use, so to see it in action, just search YOUTube for: “soft robotic device for parkinson’s”

The main part of it consists of some kind of device that can shorten and lengthen a string or other connector between the hip and thigh. I need help finding something to perform this action. Any recommendations for any of the other parts would be good too. Also I am considering some way to control the on off/speed of device for each leg by swinging hands.

Thank you.
Darren

1 Like

Hi Darren,

this exoskeleton is nice and looks quite effective.
Maybe this publication could help you getting an impression on the construction:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-14784-9

when you search for “kim Porciuncula hip exoskeleton parkinson” (without quotation marks) you can find the artice “Soft robotic apparel to avert freezing of gait in Parkinson’s disease” from 01/2024. There are many details in it. Also one with the actuators:

In this paper it could also be seen, compared to the article from 2022, that they added some more IMUs at the shank and feet.

I don’t know, if the actuation could only be done by state estimation of the IMU signals. Probably the exoskeleton becomes only active, when the patient tends to freeze. The detection of this might be quite possible by IMUs. Swinging hands as actuation control might also be possible via IMUs.

But I think, all the custom belts and (thigh) wraps could be more difficult tom make.

Best regards,
Enrico

2 Likes

Wow, great find! I would be interested in paying you to develop this. It would be just be a workable prototype, nothing I want to try to sell but something whose construction plans I would share with others. If anyone else who is reading this is interested in developing this for please let me know. I’m thinking to make things easier, a first iteration of this could be done with holding down an on/of button to activate the device and it will trigger each motor alternating a set. speed Please feel free to contact me directly.

1 Like

Hi Darren,

sorry for the late reply. I think I could help with such a project. What would be your plans about it? Just building it for personal use or are you thinking bigger?
We could discuss details e.g. in a Slack channel or in some chat.

From the technical perspective, there are many questions, e.g.

• size/power of motors
  • robustness of system (3D printed parts vs. metal parts)
  • electric arrangement: dedicated motor controller with a separate microcontroller board vs. one single PCB
  • type of battery/battery management.

Looking forward to discuss with you - and anyone else who is interested. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Enrico

1 Like