Neato FFC Cable connector clip

Hey fellas,

So, I have a Neato Botvac D5 and I am trying to fix an issue with the sidebrush motor, but this post is not about that. On my poking and proding of disasembling the bot, I manage to break the clip that holds the FFC cable that goes from the LIDAR board to the main board (not that hard to break actually, it is a flimsy plastic clip)

I’ve been looking around and came to the conclusion that I can’t buy just the clip so I have to buy the whole connector, fine I don’t mind. The problem is that I can’t find the exact part, there’s no part# on it and I don’t want to have to replace the whole connector (If I broke something disasembling imagine what I can do with a sodering iron).

I even found one that looks similar from Riverdi, ZIF0520UH, but I ain’t paying 27 dollars to ship a 50 cents part. I notice robotshop has this part…but it will only be available in 3 months and I don’t think I can endure 90 days of wife nagging either.

so:
1 - Does anyone know what’s the number of the part I am looking for
2- Does anyone know where I can buy it?

Ps: Before someone say “give up and send to repair before you burn your house down” I would… except there’s no repair for Neato in my city here in Canada, I would have to send it to the US so… no.

Hey @MTP ! Welcome to our forum!

Is that clip really important? Can’t you maybe “seal” it with silicone temporarily?

My guess is that you were looking at this connector from our catalog: https://www.robotshop.com/en/riverdi-zif-20-connector-upside-contact.html

Have you tried contacting Neato directly?

Hi, thanks for the welcome and the reply.

That’s exactly the part I was looking at the catalog, and upon further inspection my part I think it is the exact same. The clip is really important, the ribbon cable can’t really hold itself without it.
I followed my father’s advice actually and made a little woden wedge to hold it in place. It actually worked but now my robot don’t even beep anymore so I will have to open it up again and see what I screwed up this time =-(

1 Like

Just an update to anyone looking at this in the future. I was able to buy it from Newegg, a pack with 10 cost 8 bucks, not super cheap but saves me of sending the bot the US for repair or buying a new one so…

Also, this is micro solded which I can’t do (I don’t have the equipment nor practice with these contact pads solderings), nevertheless I was able to transplant the clip from a new connector to the one on my board and that did it =)

1 Like

Hi @MTP,

Thank you for the additional information. We are glad to hear that you solved the problem.

I also managed to break the clip on the controller board (not the LIDAR board - not sure if they are identical) and am looking for a solution. Unfortunately, the link on this thread doesn’t work any more.
Can anyone help find a place to buy this connector (and maybe a new cable just to be on the safe side)? Also, will appreciate guidance for replacing the clip so that I don’t break it again.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi @oded and welcome to the forum.

The link that is not working anymore was leading to this product: https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Riverdi/ZIF0520UH?qs=7D1LtPJG0i13EmtyrBjaBA%3D%3D

Here is one guide that shows how to solder this connect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmiPyCyw3x4

I hope this helps!

Thank you Igor
My plan was to leave the original connector and just replace the clip. Would this work in your opinion?

1 Like

Yes, it should work, if you just replace the clip properly.