Nano Crawler (nCee)

Nano Crawler is a very small robot inspired by the MicROBot challenge, although it won't be finished for at least another month or two.

Here's a picture showing the CAD model:

Here's what the parts looked like coming out of the printer:

And here are a few more pictures:

The big round thing is the tread mold - I'm going to try and pour molded polyurethane treads, much like I did with the tires for Seeker 2x.

It has 3 ProxDot IR sensors, and a 24mm x 24mm PCB that will include an ATmega328 and a 2-motor h-bridge chip. It will be powered by a very small single-cell Lipo battery. It uses a pair of GM-15 pager gearmotors from Solarbotics.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/nano-crawler-ncee

Very nice work

What material are you going to use to make the treads? I haven’t done anything with Oogoo, but, it looks like an interesting concoction to produce flexible parts with.

Some days

it would pay me to read carefully. :smiley:

Re: tread material and the use of polyurethane. :slight_smile:

That is awesome. I want one

That is awesome. I want one :-) 

I am not sure how you want to use the mold for the PU treads. PU has to be hot when you pour it in. Do you think the 3D printed part will hold that temperature?

Two-part poured polyurethane

Two-part poured polyurethane is mixed and poured at room temperature. I’m not sure what kind you’ve used or seen, but the stuff I have works that way - I’ve poured a number of mini-sumo tires and other parts with it, and I’ve used 3D printed molds also.

So I’ve added a new picture

So I’ve added a new picture showing the current state. The PCB is done and mounted, with an ATmega328 and a 2-motor h-bridge. It also has a serial port and 3 ProxDot connections, and of course an LED that I can flash.

I have to permanently mount the wheels, and pour the treads, and then it will be ready to start moving around.

I see, two component PU. I

I see, two component PU. I only have experience with solid PU as we tried to 3D print with it :slight_smile: