MyBox - Portable Web Controlled Power Strip

Caution:

This project is very dangerous as it uses 110VAC and could easily cause equipment damaged, death, or bodily injury. As a matter of fact I had made a costly error on a project created after this one. While breadboarding a much more advanced remote power station with AJAX feedback designed for switching large rack mounted servers and server rack monitoring. I inadvertently blew out a arudino UNO, Ethernet shield, 8GB micro SD card, all of the USB ports on my motherboard, and my sound card in a spectacular display of sparks and sounds simply by plugging the extension cord I was using for testing in the wrong way. Also the transistors and 110V wire used in this project are only rated for 5AMPs. So devices like space heaters, large appliances, or even coffee makers would cause this particular project to melt down. But MyBox worked out great for its purpose which was to switch on desktop computers, small routers, network switches, and desktop lamps.

Goal:

I wanted to create a portable power station that could easily be connected to most 110V devices and controlled from a laptop, tablet, or smartphone. I needed it to be simple and user freindly. The unit can easily be connect to an internet modem, provide wireless internet to users and still perform LAN/Internet control of the Arduino. This works by plugging in a computer power cord (just the type of cord i used) to the unit which supplies power to all of the internal electronics. The router powers up and broadcasts a wireless network that contains the name of the arduinos accessible IP. You connect your web-enabled device browse to the webpage and turn any of the 3 outlets on or off. Plug in your 110VAC device such as a desktop computer and you are set.

a__31_.jpg

Fitting:

I just love finding new uses for old but still perfectly usable junk. This idea came to me while going through my old spare parts boxes. I found an old Linksys WRT500G router and a three outlet plug jack I had scraped from an old UPS. I pulled the router apart and found out there is a quarter section of the circuit board that was cut away (probably to save on production costs) which allowed the 3 outlet plug, room to fit. Now the router is way passed its prime and to the average computer user I couldn’t even give it away to. But to makers like us this is a great means of remote control for our projects that allows for web access from almost any web enabled device even from around the world. I was so impressed to find that the original 3 port UPS outlets could be fit into the empty router space and even match up with the front trim of the router.

a__3_.jpg

a__10_.jpg

a__19_.jpg

a__21_.jpg

How:

I had my idea but still needed to design the controls and fit all parts properly  I used an Arduino Nano (this was my first, simplest, and smallest attempt at high voltage web control) for this one with an ENC28J60Ethernet Shield. I designed a webpage in HTML and used code to allow the URL commands to control the Nano. My next problem was coming up with a solid state 110VAC switch as I always wanted the option of going PWM on my plugs if needed but also wanted a more efficient switch setup. I ended up finding some information on using T2800D transistors to perform the job up to 5AMP max.

I designed the circuit on a breadboard and used Sharp PC817 opt couplers to keep the high voltage side isolated from the low voltage side. I started assembling the electronics into separate sections so the router case would fit back together as normal. I designed a custom circuit board and soldered all of the connections. I always like to make parts in my projects replaceable or serviceable so screw in terminals and pin headers were used to connect each component.

Power was a little bit of an issue on this project as it actually required three voltages to work correctly. I used an old computer power supply female plug to make a removable power cord and wired up a scrapped 15amp resettable fuse. Brought 110VAC in to feed all of the outlets and connected a scrapped 12v DC transformer (Internals) to power the router. Then connected a 5v dc regulator to power the Nano.

The three outlet jacks used from the old UPS were not made to power the outlets separately. I was able to modify them by cutting the hot leads, bending them apart and soldering separate feed wires. The router case came apart in three different pieces. I was able to affix different components into each section and when finished the unit could be assembled or disassembled just by snapping the pieces. I mean this thing really fits together a lot like a puzzle.

a__23_.jpg

a__27_.jpg

*Side Note on DIY Circuit Boards*:

Ever since I was a kid I have collected old spare electronic parts. Toys, radios, old electronics, and computers. All were stripped and useful parts removed, before trashing the rest. As such I have a lot of old single layer circuit boards of various sizes. The point being the cost and difficulty in finding protoboards of large sizes. To get around this you will notice that most of my projects use recycled circuit boards.

The process consists of cutting all of the old components off using small wire dykes. From there I use an angle grinder and flap disk to remove the lacquer layer and copper leads on either side of the board. I always wear glasses, respirator mask, and gloves while performing this process (Very Dusty and Potentially Dangerous). But within a ½ hour I end up with a nice clean board to work with. I drill new holes as needed, glue large parts, and use a tight loop soldering method to keep components tight to the board after soldiering. All of my leads are hand soldered with pieces of appropriately gauged wire. A big board can be cut and custom fit uing a simple oscillator tool. Sounds a little less than ideal but works great for me and is basically free.

**I love what you did here! **

I love what you did here!   Recycling your old parts like this and making something useful; what a great idea.  I don’t have the courage to take something apart like you did when working with 110 VAC.  I would be worried about fireworks and burning the house down on something I built…

Congrats oin a job well done.

Regards,

Bill 

Commercial Product

Took me a minute to realize the first image was not a commercial product. Are you planning to create an app for control?