My entry for the Deadreconing

This is my entry for the deadreconing chalenge.

i posted it here because i didnt want to post it as a

robot projeckt, because its made out of NXT (lego)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii4_K3U1jIg

BUT
…but it’s CLEARLY a robot! Like Frits says elsewhere, you can make it out of wet toilet paper, but a robot is still a robot…

ok…

YEs, you could call It a robot, but it just sort takes the … you know…

Electronics!!! out of the whole "build a robot" thing.

I mean, you build it and all, but you dont have to solder or really "construct" it.

Its out of Legos, for Petes sake!!!

PLus proggraming is a "drag and drop" proggram,

and the microcontroler is alredy there, i could go on and on…

/Nick

Drawing the line

I depends where we draw the line. There’s a limit to what folk can do and choose to do themselves. Some people make their own PCBs. Some people can’t solder. I’m sure somewhere out there in robot land someone has the capability to make his own silicon integrated circuits. Some people are big into electronics but couldn’t drill a hole.

If your robot was a virtual machine completely in software, it’s still a robot…

OK

ok, oki admit defeat.

You were right, and i was wrong.

Nice new avatar by the way BOA

PS: do you think ill win the challenge?

/Nick

Bloody good chance
I don’t know how the NXT motors work. Can you switch them on for a known distance or can they only be turned on for a known amount of time (like the RCX motors)?

They use degrees, seconds or
They use degrees, seconds or rotations. So, if you know the circumference of the wheel, you can do a set distance.

I would call them a contuinus servo.

they are continus servos, that you can time (seconds), mesure with: rotations, or degrees

/Nick

More specifically I would
More specifically I would say that they’re geared DC motors with quadrature encoders.

whatever

whatever…

:stuck_out_tongue:

/Nick

Disqualified

Hi, again, jip. Long time, no shout.

If the bot is using the “degrees” or “rotation count” method, then I shall call for a disqualification on the grounds that this requires feedback and is therefore not dead reckoning.

:slight_smile:

Now, if it can be demonstrated that there’s “reckoning” involved rather than scientific measurement…

**Correct **

If that is the case it would fall into the second class. Untill the code suported Class 1.

say like this?

http://robocode.sourceforge.net/

Thisi s a pretty fun way to learn as well.