Motors for 130mm wheels with 12mm hex coupling

Do you carry a metal gear motor I could use with the 130mm wheel shown in the linked file? It could be either 6v or 12V. I’m planning to use the motors for a six-wheel rover. I’m unsure what the gear ratio should be.

Thanks.

Patrick

1 Like

Hi @doctorp and welcome to our forum.

For these wheels, I guess 12mm is hexagonal edge to edge distance? What is the diameter of the hole? Meaning, what size of the shaft you need?

Also, it would be good to know how torque you need from the motors?

Maybe this tutorial can help you:

Hello igor_X:

Thanks for your reply. I’ve never worked with hex couplings before so it took a while to figure out how they worked.

For now, I’m just using the cheap “yellow” motors I got on Amazon to build a prototype. They seem to require a 6mm bore.

As for the torque…I will need to reach back nearly 50 years to my mechanical engineering studies. I’ll review the tutorial you suggest to get a better understanding of the requirements.

Thanks again.

Doctorp

Hello igor_X:

I used the Drive Motor Sizing Tool to generate some parameters for selecting a motor. The robot will use the rocker-bogie design. The use case was for climbing stairs (i.e., 35 degree angle).

The output of the tool was:
Angular Velocity: 5.6 rpm
Torque: 0.38845 Nm
Total power: 0.22769 W
Maximum current: 0.018974 A
Battery pack: 0.056923 Ah

Now I need to find the motor that matches the specifications.

doctorp

1 Like

Hello @doctorp ,

Here are some potential candidates:

I’ve looked at the design of Servocity Bogie Runt Rover, I just found the motors close to your specifications:

Hello @igor_X :

Thank you so much for these suggestions.

BTW…I investigated the Bogie Runt Rover…shipping alone was C$75 to import to Canada. Also, the robot is quite small. Here’s an image of the concept of my robot.

Again, thanks for your assistance.

DrP

1 Like

Design looks good. Where do you plan to drive it? On which terrain?

I don’t know yet. My first interest is to understand how it works, then figuring out how to build it.

Ever heard of some kind of robotics group in Niagara?

DrP