Motor just buzzes, no movement

I'm trying to follow this tutorial:

http://myrobotlab.net/tutorial-control-a-dc-motor-with-raspberry-pi/

Now, while I'm not too familiar with Breadboards, since I dont have one, and can't afford one right now, I've had to take it into my own hands to carefully solder wires between the points. I seem to have everything done, but when I start the program, the motor DOES start a buzzing sound (don't hear it when the program is NOT running) which indicates I'm at least partway right.

So my questions are,

1: What would cause the motor to buzz but not move?

2: I realized after hooking it back up that the battery voltage goes into the same column as the motor plugs, so should I assume I have to actually put the batter power supply soldered to the motor jacks too, or is something else going on?

3) I plan on putting a 5v rechargeable battery pack into a parallel circuit with the USB, so the USB plug when it's plugged in also charges the battery pack. Am I correct in assuming 4 rechargable batterys at about 1.2-1.3v would meet the USB's power, and be suffecient to power the  devices on the 5V pin?

Because I'd prefer to have the battery pack just hooked up on the overall power line for the Pi, and have the motors being powered off the 5V pin, but is there a hardware incapability that would stop it from working? I just figured having the battery pack trying to power the Raspi the other way AND wiring it to the motors might make too much of a voltage drop.

But while I'd like to consider myself pretty invative, I'm still relatively new when it comes to low-level hardware.

Thanks for any help!

Well,it’s always handy to

Well,it’s always handy to know the motor specifications (working voltage range, stall current, etc). Assuming everything is connected correctly your issue could derive from you either not supplying enough current (you must be able to supply an equal amount of current equal to the stall current value for the motor to start spinning) or you’re below the lowest operating voltage for the motor you’re using. Bear in mind that by using a motor driver chip like l293d there’s a voltage drop, so the voltage that reaches the motors is not the same as the one that comes off the batteries. 

Thanks

Thanks for answers, especially for answering ALL my questions in such detail Oddbot.

Unfortunately, right now money is a bit tight… I don’t even have enough change lying around to hit the soda machine… literally. Getting a Breadboard would take my about another 3 weeks if I’m luck to order, plus shipping time.

But yes, the issue was the voltage I was supplying. Two of my 3 batteries were at .8v instead of 1.2v+.
I decided to interface it with my second PicAxe board, so I can interface more servos and have more pins available.

I actually have a question on that for programming I’m about to post, but not in this thread, and OddBot already gave such a clear answer for any future Googlers… :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again for the time, and any further time helping me!