Motor and Wheels mounting location of the robot

Hi Guys,

I was designing an off-road robot car, and I came across a question when deciding which DC motor was suitable for the robot.
Is the motor and wheels’ location affect the output?

(Please don’t mind the drawing style, the image above is used to explain the condition below)
Let’s say if:

• I place the motors closer to the left & right side of the robot or further, or
  • I put the wheels closer or further away from the front and the back.

Will there be any difference? If so, what will be the formulas to support these statements?

Noted, The motor and wheels were connected and mounted inside the robot structure.

Hi
the locations of your wheels will affect the stability of your robot.
The basic idea is the further appart your wheels are the more stable you are.
If you want to reduce the distance between your wheels by putting the gravity center below the wheel axis you can withstand the loss of stability.

The theory behind this is the physic of the body (static and dynamic).
(Newton law should be enough in this case).

I hope, this was clear and that I gave you the answer you were seeking.

1 Like

If you put the wheels closer to the front and back of the robot, it will increase the maneuverability of the robot. It will also provide better traction when traversing steep inclines or declines. The formula to calculate the maneuverability of the robot is the distance between the front and back wheels divided by the length of the robot’s base.

However, if the motors are too close to the wheels, the robot’s center of gravity may be too high, causing it to tip over more easily. Similarly, if the wheels are too far apart, it may affect the robot’s stability and maneuverability.

1 Like