Modifying Moebius Robot B9 1/6 Scale Model

Hi All,

Thank You for your time and consideration.

I am planning on purchasing the Moebius “Lost in Space” Robot B9 1/6 Scale Model 13" tall. I am impressed because it is so detailed, and made so that the radar head section, and the torso section can both rotate.

I would like to be able to turn both sections either to the right 90-deg and back to center or to the left 90- deg and back to center, slowly and independently of each other. Or possibly even 160-deg and/or 360-deg torso rotation.

My hardware concerns are related to necessary actuators/motors/controllers/other? - that are small, but capable of completing the task.

As far as software concerns, I was not necessarily considering computer control or R/C control, but I do have computer experience and would be willing to implement either or both if they are the best option, and not overly complex.

No troubleshooting yet. I have not started the project yet, as I will need to know what all is necessary to include in the model’s construction prior to starting the project.

Additional information:

I am going to be upfront, here. I am new to this sort of thing, and I am very intrigued by it, and I really want to accomplish something nice.

I am not asking for someone to complete the project for me, as I sincerely want to learn about it and get hands on experience, and possibly help someone else through completing my own project.

The Overall Model information can be viewed on Amazon or eBay.

Any advice or tutorial references would be greatly appreciated. I am just not sure exactly where to start, or what I am looking for.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Respectfully,

Bud

Hello @BudmanB9!

I suggest checking the Robots section on the forum, maybe you can find some inspiration there.

For the head and torso rotation, you will definitely need a servo motor, but I’m not sure how much torque you’ll need because I don’t know how much each section weights. I also don’t know how everything is assembled inside the robot so you might have to share some pictures of what Moebius insides look.

The easiest way to control the motors would be with RC, if you don’t mind wires you could use a servo tester but I think the best option would be a receiver and a transmitter to control it remotely.

I also suggest checking these tutorials:

I hope that helps!

Hi geraldinebc15!

Thank you for your response. I have looked at cbenson’s tutorials, and found them helpful and informative. Also, I have looked into Arduino and Raspberry pi. I will look at what you have suggested as well. I will try and get dimensions and pics that may help, too.

Respectfully,

Bud

1 Like

Awesome!

If you are looking to add sensors (ultrasonic or buzzers for example) then Arduino would be a great choice. If you are looking for something more advanced like adding vision then a Raspberry would be nice.

:slightly_smiling_face: I am probably leaning more toward Arduino.

This is a Mechalabs Torso Rotation Kit, but they went out of business. :unamused:

This has the effect I want for the torso, and it would work for the crown, too. I’m just not sure how they went about it.

Hello @BudmanB9!

Sorry for the late reply.

It is hard to tell everything you’ll need to duplicate the rotation on the video you shared as I don’t know what the inside of the torso looks like, however, if you simply need it to rotate the best option would be a servo.

I’m not sure how much the torso weights but in case it is heavy then you should look for a geared servo. To control it you can use an Arduino, but keep in mind that it will need to be powered from an external battery.

I hope that helps