mini sumo

hello,
im am making a mini sumo robot
and i need a little help trying to figure out
if the hs-422’s are enough to push on the opponent?

No, that wont do at all. Sorry, but your deffinately going to need something much more powerful.

what about a HS-474HB?

you mean HS-475HB?? Nope, i doubt they will be able to push anything.

I suggest using motors.

well ive heard of peaple using standerd servos all the time
so whats wrong with them?

Idt they have the power. Maybe if you were using the 40$$ kind atleast, they may work well enough, but those are’nt going to be able to push another robot let alone there own…sorry.

im making a mini sumo
they way as much as about a cup full of water :open_mouth:

why everything so [size=75]mini[/size]? If its your first time, building something [size=150]BIGGER[/size] its easier. I dont understand, you asked for help and your not taking the advice :confused:

well it is called a mini sumo contest why not try building a [size=200]mini sumo[/size]

where did you find a mini sumo contest?

didn’t,
just wan’t to think ahead
you never know when a mini sumo contest is going to popup right :laughing:

There is much more to building a winning sumo besides the power of the motors. I have been watching this sport for years. Not the contests in America, but the ones from Japan. The Americans focus all of their energy into building the absolute most powerful drivetrain they can. And spend 5 minutes makeing a flimsy scoop and two minutes writing a BS2 program to control it. There are so many creative things that can be implemented to build winning robots. Things like making the front of the scoop white so the opponents edge detector gets fooled into thinking it’s at the ring edge and backs out on it’s own. Things like adding a boom with a flag that the opponents detectors sees as the robot when it’s not, and fools the robot into driving full speed too close tp the ring edge. The Japanese have the ability to alter the behavior of the robot when they start it in real time. I’ve seen furry robot to avoid ultrasonic sensors, jet black robots to avoid IR sensors, robots that are 15cm high so the opponent drives right over them. Don’t get me wrong power is importand, but it’s not the only thing. Be aware that with MiniSumo you only have to have as much power as the traction can take advantage of. You can’t add extra weight, magnets, vaacuums and the like. So what good are 800oz. in. motors if the wheels are spinning due to lack of traction? For a beginner servos are fine for a MiniSumo. As you learn you can use faster motors, not necessarily stronger ones. You will see the drawback in servos is they are too slow, not that they are not strong enough. There… Did I stir up the ol grey matter? Hope so. :wink:

well ive never seen sumo before but I assumed power and traction is the most important. I still dont know if 12.00 servos are going to work though :confused:

Jim’s right
i do need to study about them more before building them 8)

Jim has an excellent point, a couple monaths ago i went to a Lego Mindstorms camp and for the last thing, we had a sumo match, now, its obvious thast the Lego mindstorms are limited in their capabilities but its sort of the same concept that jim is trying to get over, it was me and my partner and first we designed the chassis together and chose tracks as the drive train of chose(most traction) and we also geared the motors down (more power) and basically everyone else was focusing on the same thing, one other team did the tracks, everyone else wheels, some ppl geared them doown, some made them fastter

HOWEVER, one key difference made me and my buddies bot come out on top :smiley:, light sensors :wink:, no one else bothered to program it enough because it was too hard so they just gave up, well, first match comes up, and we win, because no one else had a light sensor they programmed their bot to just go straight or turn and spin in the middle of the circle :laughing:

now, the point im trying to get at is, like jim said, power and traction are im portant, like what we alled leveled off at (everyone had more or less the same power) but taking that little bit of extra time and hard work made our bot came out on top

sry for giant post, hope i got the point across :laughing:

i did the lego mindstorms camp too
but it was a little different :stuck_out_tongue:

lol, id also like to say that some craps head (tried to steal my code for the light sensors because they only programmed theirs to go straight, way too lazy) just went straight out of the circle XD and everyone was amazed when our robot turned around at the black line :laughing: XD

accually i gone to the FIRST LEGO LEAGUE 8)

here are some images of the tracks im using
if you look closly yoll notice that ive compared them with the lego tracks
the look pretty simuler.

very rubbery tracks:
i122.photobucket.com/albums/o255 … acks-1.jpg

lego tracks:
i122.photobucket.com/albums/o255 … tracks.jpg

lego tracks and rubbery tracks:
i122.photobucket.com/albums/o255 … tracks.jpg

you think those rubbery tracks will work?
like you said chunga that those lego tracks helped you win
and the ones im using have even better grip :wink:

yea, i think those would work, u just need to find a way to connect those little sprockets with and output gear