Mini Midget V1.0

Hey, guys.
I had a bit of inspiration a few days ago about making a tiny 4-servo biped out of microservos.
The main reason is to kick-start my way into the world of dynamicly balancing gaits in an easier fashion.
I’ll be debouncing 8 momentary pushbuttons on the bottoms of this bugger’s feet and using their states to get him to make his own decisions.

I had started doing this with my 20-DOF biped, but it’s complexity was getting in the way of the learning process.

After talking with Jim, though, I found out how scary microservos are.
So, I’m going to take the easier way and stick with 422’s, which aren’t all that much larger or heavier.

Here’s what this bugger should resemble:
f10.putfile.com/thumb/8/23717122913.jpg

Since I wish to have a large stance to allow for a long stride (the hips turning makes it take a step), I knew that I couldn’t locate the weight at the “waist”.
This’ll also let him lean farther, since the feet will be a heavier counterbalance.

I’ve decided to make two boards, one being a “power board” that will have a 5V 3A regulator for logic, an adjustable 5A regulator that I’ll set at 6V, as well as some fuses and a bunch of other necessary passives/connectors.
The servos will draw off the regulated 6V, which will, hopefully mean more stable gaits.

I’ve noticed that a gait that works with a fully charged pack doesn’t always work with a more-drained pack, and vice versa.
That should fix it, and if it works, I’ll use it on the larger biped.

The other board will house a PIC18F2620 which will monitor the batteries, read the button sensors, and PWM the servos.
I’ve heard a lot about how some micros, such as the Atom can control servos “in the background” without tying up the micro.
I’ve been itching to try to do that, myself.
Methinks it can be done on a PIC by utilizing priority levels in the main loop as well as setting a timer interupt for 50Hz…

As for the LiPos:
Sparkfun has some nice LiPo’s rated for 2C.
Which means, the 2000mAh ones can get 4A drawn out of them at any given time without resulting in cell damage.
That should easily cover the 4 servos my project will be using, and would probably cover 8 without any worries.
I’ll be using two 2000mAh 3.6V cells as well as Sparkfun’s 2-cell charger.

A voltage divider and an ADC will monitor the LiPos and a transistor will cut the power when drained.
I’ll be using a 250V 3A fast-acting fuse to limit the current, as well.
3A is still way over what my 4 servos will draw and well under the 4A rating of the LiPos.

As always, my ideas are stacking up way faster than my $ are.
Right now, the priority levels are:

A few things for Midget and Mike’s sensor board.
A 30V hammerdrill-driven car for Midget.
Two OSMC-based 55V 300A speed controllers for the car.
A CMUcam2 (not the +), a bunch of laser-pointers, and some rangesensors all for the car.
And now this new bugger.

I really need to get meself a sponsor!
:laughing:

The good news is, though, doctors really like to poke me with needles.
Well, that’s not the good news, I suppose.
The good news is that they’ll soon be paying nicely for the opportunity to make a pincussion out of me.
A few pints of blood and a couple weeks from now, and I might just have enough $ to catch back up to where my ideas are residing.

hey buster, this seems awful familiar to my idea :laughing:

Yea, I was quite suprised when I saw your post.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Ask Jim, though.
I emailed him about it before you posted.
:wink:

Feel free to borrow any of my ideas, as everything above was at least partially borrowed from a lot of other people:
4-servo biped with hip rotating stride**: sam
Batteries on the feet: Robosapien
LiPo batteries: andy’s hexapod and pete’s proposed battery monitor
Regulated servo power: andy (although he planned a switching power supply, wheras mine will just be a simple LDO).
PIC control board: tons of help learning about PICs from Dan Albert, Pete, Andy, Eddie, and many others…
Pushbutton sensors: not sure who… but way back when, someone said that costly pressure sensors weren’t a necessity – that even pushbuttons would help
brackets: jim, of course
servos: yup, you guessed it. jim

So, you see, the lovingly vicious cycle of forums knowledge has again come about.
:smiley:
There’s nothing really new here.
The main focus of all this is just to minimize the time spent building the gaits so I can get right to the fun stuff, which I’ve been really missing out on.

Hey Nick,

Some great ideas here!

Robot magazine can help a little here. Their website has a neat video of a 4 servo humanoid made out of the Bioloid kit (it’s huge though).

Also last issue had an article by Matt Bauer in which he described how he put two LiPO’s that provided regulated power to his servos, in his Robonova’s feet.

I’m wondering though how much you’re going to learn with just 4 DOF. You’ll only be able to tilt the ankles sideways but not forwards. I would think that you could learn a whole bunch more info that would be directly transferrable to your larger humanoid by having at least 2 DOF in each ankle; sideways and fwd and back.

Cheers, Harry

Good point.
The nice part is, switching that around necessitates the interchange of only four brackets.
So, for an extra $20, I suppose I’ll just get them ahead of time and have multiple options.

To be honest, I had been thinking of changing my biped to the above sort of setup, as it seemed to be a lot more effective when I was playing around with the Biped Scout.

I’ve been lax and haven’t renewed my subscription to Servo.
:X
Thanks for reminding me!

You’re being lax again, this time with your reading. :laughing: :laughing:

I said Robot magazine, not Servo.

botmag.com/

Cheers, Harry

Lol!
Woopsies.
Well, I need to renew that, too.
:X

And I should probably subscribe to Nutz and Volts while I’m at it.
:stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve had a ball with the BRAT. It’s really amazing what can be done with just 6 DOF. I think a natural progression would be to add 2 more DOF to see what can be done then. I think it would open up another completely different set of possibilities. Actually, I’d guess that the 8 DOF configuration would provide the best platform for your foot sensor experiments. Then again, simpler still would be a hip servo and 2 ankle servos and may work just as well for your project. Hmmmm…

I wonder if Jim has any thoughts on this?

Cheers, Harry

I’ve no doubt that I’ll eventually learn more from the full humanoid about balancing than I can ever learn with this little bugger.
But, the sheer volume and variety of what I’d need to understand is a bit daunting.
This little guy should get me kickstarted in the right direction.
Worst comes to worst, it doesn’t.
In that case, I’ll just have to part this poor bugger out and have two extra pan and tilts.

Yeah, start with a BRAT. :smiley: Then add more DOF’s as you work. Think of all the other BRAT builders who will be praising your name Nick. hehehe

The switch / foot PC board is a good idea. I want to have a PC board made with the switches and even LEDs, that can either replace the aluminum foot for lightweight bots, or be added to the aluminum foot for heavier bots. It’s on the drawing board anyway. :wink:

whats wrong with micro servos?

Here’s the thread about them thar micro servos:
lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?t=9 … cro+servos

Better add a place in the bottom of each foot to hold a couple of 2 cell LiPOs that can be joined in parallel and regulated for servo power. :laughing:

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it, Harry :laughing:

I’ve been thinking about this quite a bit and I think it’s the way to go for me to start looking at balance in humanoids. The configuration that seems to make the most sense to me is to add another servo just above the foot with the same SES components that are on the similarly placed servo on the BRAT. This would require an ABS-04, ABS-06 and ABS-09. Jim, what do you think? I remember you suggesting that adding another DOF at the hip may make more sense.

Any thoughts from other BRAT owners or SES experts?

This looks really interesting too. Any chance that it’s moved off the drawing board yet? :slight_smile:

Thanks, Harry

No sorry, I have my PCB engineer working on our new Dual H-Bridge, and he will not be able to work on other things untill it’s completed.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease tell me that it will be at least 5A!!!

It must be! (and cheap, please!)

theChipmunk

Heh heh, I just got my first issues of Robot, SERVO, and Nuts and Volts this week. :smiley: I am in information heaven right now!

Wow, I know just how you feel. This should keep you bussy in the bathroom for hours. :laughing:

It’s 10 amp, two channels. It will be like the SSC-32… Feature packed but inexpensive. :wink:

Oooh.
That sounds very useable, Jim.
:smiley: