Midget Car V1.0

Well, I’ve looked, but I haven’t seemed to have started a thread for this upcoming project, though I’m sure I posted about it…

Anyhow, here it is:

These are the motors:
At 25 ft lbs of torque, these buggers suit my overkill tastes just dandilly.
:stuck_out_tongue:
harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D … mber=93449

This is going to be the main body:
harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D … mber=91949
Steel is heavy, but I like being able to weld.
With the above motors, I highly doubt that weight will ever be an issue.
All of my projects thus far have been with aluminum.
Since I don’t have a TIG, I’ve spent a lot of time fastening bolts and nuts, which is not my favorite pasttime.
:unamused:

I’ll be using an idler wheel from Harborfreight and the 3" sports tires and hubs from LM (I’ll be getting some 3" industrial caster wheels from HF in case the sport tires can’t handle the bot’s weight.
I’ll probably be keeping almost the entirety of the drills intact, so I won’t need to mess around with idlers and such.
Stainless steel worm-gear hose-clamps will hold the drills down, and the strength of the drill itself should be more than enough to deal with the abuse that I throw at it.
Plus, keeping the drill intact lets me grip onto the hub directly with the keyed chuck of the drill.

There’ll be 3 EZ ultrasonic senosors from Sparkfun on the front of the car.
Eventually, I’ll also get a CMUcam2 (not the +) and mount it on a pan and tilt.

Around the camera, I’ll place a universal oil filter socket:
amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de … R&v=glance

What?!?!
An oil filter socket?
Yup.
:smiley:

Here’s my idea:
On each of the 3 legs of the socket, I’ll mount a laser pointer.
Then, on the back I’ll attach the rotating nut onto a servo’s horn.
And, as before said, I’ll whack the camera’s module in the middle of the socket.

Then, I’ll be able to rotate the legs of the ratchet, which will move the laser pointers into a circle of varying radius.
This effect I’ll use to create a cute little way for the car to “focus” on objects.
I’m hopint that it’ll look somewhat like an iris dilating and contracting.

When I tell the cam to start tracking a certain colored object, I’ll have the servo dilate the laser “iris” wide.
Once it’s locked onto the stationary object, it’ll contract the iris.
Then, when the object moves, the iris will again dilate a bit until it moves the pan and tilt to again lock onto the object.

Aside from those neat behavioral tricks, it should also serve to measure distance really well.
To do this, I’d just position the iris at fully dilated.
If I remember rightly (my brother has one of these buggers), the legs of that wrench have about a 5 degree bend.
So, I can use the camera to count the pixels between the center of the image and the red dots.
Having 3 pointers will give me 3 readings that I can average together to minimize mechanical errors.
Then, I simply do a bit of trigonometry (tangent of 5 degrees / average number of pixels to laser dot) to get the number of imaginary pixels in between the bot and the object.

That might not seem like it’s useful, since it would be very hard to translate that into the distances that we are used to, but methinks it’ll be more than enough to do neat things like building a 3D map of the environment.
It should definitely be enough to get this bugger to chase down an accidently-yellow-spray-painted cat.
:laughing:

Can’t you weld aluminum with a MIG welder? I always thought you could if you used a special sort of wire and gas combination instead of the flux core wire.
I really like the camera idea. That should turn out to be very cool.

:smiley:, this will be on the rover right? :laughing:

soundswicked cool, about when do you expect this project to get rolling?

AFAIK, it can’t be done with ordinary MIGs.
At least mine can’t.
I suppose an industrial one could do it, but then I’m sure a really powerful arc welder could do it, too.
But, no, my brother’s brand new MIG/arc wasn’t able to do it even with the halogen gas.

As for when it’ll get rolling…
Well, as soon as the money starts coming in, I’ll be getting the ratchet and the laser pointers, since they’re cheap.
Those hospital study things do business with “the check’s in the mail”.
Which means, I could be getting paid at the end of each test (the first one ends at the end of next week) or at the end of the entire study (could be a few months from now).
I’ll be holding off on the CMUcam, since it’s a big money sink, until I’ve got most of my other projects bought.

So, the “cool” part might be ready in a week or two and the cam might be ready in a month, at the earliest.
I promise that I’ll bunker down and upload a vidoe of it when I have it working.

tests?

Yea…
Kind of off topic…
But, hey it’s my thread, so what the hay…

I was sort of born with hemophilia (feel free to Google/Wiki that, and no, I don’t bleed to death when I get a cut :stuck_out_tongue:).
So, being one of um… 30,000 or so makes me a desired commodity.
Add that into the fact that I consume a million dollars, give or take, of medicine per year, and you’ll know why the pharmaceutical companinies are willing to throw money at me to get me to do guiney-pig trials for their products to prove to other hemophilics that they work.

Medical insurance pays the biggest chunk of that money, but companies rarely care where the money comes from.

ohhhh, ok

your camera and laser thing is realy cool!!

That cash box looks small for containing two hammer drill motors and the batterys to drive them. I also think the hammer drill motors are over kill for a moble platform that small (but it is your $$$).

Oh, I definitely agree.
The cash box will probably be too small, but that’s where the welding fun and some spare steel sheets comes into play.

The ability to lock everything important nicely inside a hardened steel enclosure appealed to me.
And I can’t really argue about the $10 price, either.

As for the overkill, again, I wholly agree.
I do so love overkill.
:wink:

Almost forgot to mention…
I’ll probably also be whacking Mike’s robot ears (thanks Mike!) on the car, as well.
Until I can afford the camera, those should give me something to “focus” those lasers at.

Once I get the cam, I’ll probably keep the ears, though, as I’m knocking around some ideas about how to integrate the two as humans tend to:
The main idea is to ignore the hearing and focus on tracking things visually until a large change in volume occurs.
This could be a large sound in a somewhat noisy room or a small sound in a really quite sound, both the kinds of things that would attract human attention.
At such a time, object tracking will be interupted and audio tracking will start moving the servos around.

Then, I’ll have the camera start sampling again once audio has "found what it’s looking at.
The camera will then start moving the servos to track any moving objects where the sound came from.

In this respect, my robot will probably seem like it has ADD, but that kind of appeals to my sense of humor.
Like robot-builder, like robot.
The nut doesn’t fall very far from the bolt.

Nick, keep in mind that the hammer drill motor will not produce quite the power advertised. Because of the hammer mechanism, it produces more torque. Without the hammer mechanism, it will not produce the same torque.

True.
But, that’s why I’m planning on keeping the buisiness end of the drill as intact as possible.
:smiling_imp:

With the chuck mounted directly to the wheel hubs and the drillcases strapped down real tight, I don’t think vibration will be an issue, at least mechanically.

I might run into problems later with video (although I personally won’t be viewing that, my micro will).
I’ll decide on what fork to take when I come to that, though.
It’s a lot easier to rip appart the motor to it’s bare bones later than it is to try and put it all those little pieces back together after first trying just the motor.
:slight_smile:

Do tell, can I get money for having another really quite rare condition, namely HMSN (Hereditory Motor and Sensory Neuropathy)?

theChipmunk

P.S. I can just see you lot formulating jokes about motors and sensors… :unamused:

Usually the amount of money they’ll give you is directly proportional to three factors:

(1) The expense of the medication.
(2) The known side effects of the medication.
(3) The amount of time required of the patient.

The greater the above is, the more cash ya get.

So, if you…
(1) Normally rob your health insurance of it’s profit.
(2) Don’t mind glowing in the dark.
(3) Have as little of a life as I do.

You can probably make a lot of cash.

They should be paying me for the drugs I’m on now! They have some nasty side-effects. Everything from kidney stones to tendons snapping.

theChipmunk

I’m alive!

I’ve finally gotten some free time, so I thought I’d give you guys an update.

This project is the one that I’ve put the most work in, so far.

The main part of the vehicle’s chasis (a steel cash box) isn’t in yet, so I haven’t gotten too much done with that part of the mechanics.
I did manage to get both of the drill motors ready:

img142.imageshack.us/img142/9784/p1010073dh0.th.jpg
The beauty before it’s destruction

img120.imageshack.us/img120/4929/p1010075zq5.th.jpg
That’s me pressing the neat little battery indicator that the drill came with.
Methinks I’ll keep it on the bot for convenience.

img223.imageshack.us/img223/1158/p1010084bo1.th.jpg
This is a comparison between my father’s (or what used to be my father’s) Craftsman 18V drill and the 30V Chicago Electric drill.
Upon first inspection, they seem to be about the same size.
But, if you look closely, you can see that the 30V is a bit bigger.
It’s an 800, and i believe that the 18V is a 600.
What’s important, though, is the extremely SOLID design of the hammer motor.
I grab the shaft of the 18V, apply force axially, and the whole gearbox flexes!
I try the same with the 30V and it sticks tight like a rock.
The reason?

Well, I opened it up and it turns out that there’s 4 bearings supporting the 30V and only 1 bearing supporting the 18V.
This means that I should have no problems tacking a wheel directly onto the drive shaft.

img224.imageshack.us/img224/8459/p1010092en1.th.jpg
This here is the conversion, from right to left, of the laser pointers.

img165.imageshack.us/img165/8049/p1010096ay2.th.jpg
The finished product.
Eventually, my wireless camera will sit in the empty middle space.

img142.imageshack.us/img142/7779/p1010097cn8.th.jpg
Iris opened.

img294.imageshack.us/img294/72/p1010098cy5.th.jpg
Iris closed.

img143.imageshack.us/img143/7285/p1010113in9.th.jpg
And, this is the speed controller assembly, in all it’s partially assembled beauty.
The clear lexan and fans are just propped up to form the general layout.
Basically, I’m sticking the MOSFETs, their heatsinks, and the busbars inside the clear box.
That’ll make a nice windtunnel of cold air flowing right over the hot stuff.
The electronics portion (note the breadboard) will be perfboarded on the outside of that layer of lexan.
Then another layer of lexan goes over the whole assembly to keep dust off the electronics.
This way, the electronics are wedged between two plates of lexan and isolated from the outside dust and the dust that’ll be blown through the wind tunnel.
The neat part is, I’m using hinges on the edges of the lexan, so I’ll be able to literally unfold the whole thing off of the fans and lay it out flat to work on it.

img294.imageshack.us/img294/6166/p1010117ws8.th.jpg
This is a closeup of the busbar/MOSFET/heatsink assembly that is half finished.
I laid out the rest of the bus bars to show how it’ll look when finished.
Drilling all those holes so precicely by hand is a pain, so I put off finishing it until this weekend.
Once done, I’ll have to do it all over again for the other motor’s ESC.
Both of them will fit inside the wind tunnel, if I keep to my current tolerances.

img155.imageshack.us/img155/7783/p1010118op4.th.jpg
This view shows the pins that I had to bend out of the way when soldering.
I preheated the busbar with a welding torch and flowed a ton of solder onto it.
I kept the solder hot with my iron and quickly plop the source pins onto it.
Then I dunked the whole thing into a bucket of water to quickly cool it before the FETs could be damaged by the intense heat.
I tested each FET yesterday, and all systems seem to be go, so I’ll do the same thing for the rest.

Well, that’s about a rap, for this project.
Stay tuned, and I might just mass-update this thread in another month.

Oh, yea, almost forgot.
I managed to fry the living poop out of my poor HIP4081A MOSFET driver.
So, instead of using the replacements that I have ordered, I’ll probably just build the driver from scratch.

I went over the schematic with one of my professors, yesterday, and it seems to be simple enough.

For all you Elec Tech guys:

The lower FETs can be driven directly with an optoisolator.
I’ll have to test our idea for the upper fets, but I think it should work.
It involves the same bootstrapping process that the driver does.
A capacitor is held at 12V via a diode.
The - lead of the cap is hooked to the source of the upper MOSFET.
The + lead of the cap gets shoved into the gate of the MOSFET, through an opamp.
Or was it through a transistor?
Hmm… I’ll have to give my professor a call…

In any case, it should work like this:
If I were to try to turn on the FET normally, the source would be at 0V, so applying 12V to the gate would work fine.
But, as soon as the FET starts conducting, 30V appears on the source pin, which means I need around 42V on the gate pin.

That’s where the cap comes in.
As soon as the FET starts conducting, the cap (which is already at 12V, thanks to the diode) gets charged up to 42V.
That then gets shoved back into the gate.
It’s a lot like the positive feedback that you see in amplification circuits.

If it works out, I’ll draw up a schematic and post it.
Don’t hold your breath, though, as I might not get back to this project for weeks.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

looks real good nick!!! all the things u said u were gonng do became a reality

i really like the wind tunnel :laughing: , adds a nice touch, maybe some seepd too :laughing:

your using Laser pointers too. Thats exactly what Im doing with my 5DOF arm and camera to get better acuracy. BTW, how are you powering it? are you using some aa batteries??