Micrs Biped Idea

well i got to thinking, and has anyone thought of trying to make a micro servo powered biped? i mean like make their own brackets based off of jims (cause they work so well) and assemble a micro biped?, like find some clever spot for a battery, and only use 4 batteries to get 4.8 volts for weight

and sice everything is small-like the mirco servos would be able to carry the load, bad thing though, not many servos to upgrade to, so itd have to stat small :confused:

but wat do you guys thing about this? i may try and do it in the future because i have access to a machine shop (uncle)

and since its my uncle, itd be quite cheap, cause i could do all the fabricating myself, and only pay for the aluminum :laughing:

anyway, wat you guys think?

I like the idea ā€¦

its the ssc-32 and batteries are and issue I can see.

yea, i was thinking the same thing, there are both pretty big, maybe AAAs for the batteries though? and. get the small version of the SSC32? watever the hell its called :laughing:

Yea, the SSC-32, ABB would be the problems. 4AAA batteries would give 6v btw. Unless you want to use 1.2v rechargable batteries. 4AAA batteries wouldnt be too heavy though, would they? You can put the AAA battery pack inbetween the SES electronics holder and back of the SSC-32.

How tall would it be with micro servos? The SSC-32 would probably be like 2x the size of the torso. Poor bugger :frowning:

im not exactly sure
i can try and figure out a ratio between the micro servos and the standerd servosand give you an estimate

actaully after a few min, i realized theā€¦length and width and stuff are way off :frowning:

then ill just find the actual dimensions for the micro, and ill tell ya then
:open_mouth:

how many servos per mini biped/humanoid?

Is there any technology from the RFID world that could provide the power source?

figure out wireless power delivery and your a rich man.

Neil

According to my chat with Chunga on MSN, he is planning on making it a 13 servo biped. 4 servos each leg and 2 servos for the arm and 1 servo for head to turn left/right. So thats 8 servos for legs and 4 servos for arms plus 1 for head making a total of 13.

Actually, I have a few ideas for ā€œwireless powerā€ā€¦ but they are not practicle. And one of them would cost tooo much to setup/use and wouldnā€™t output high voltage or current. It would be cheaper to buy a life time supply of AA batteries. (Or at least tons of batteries)

I ve heard gamma radiatiion packs a punch :open_mouth: - darn atmosphere blocking out all the good stuff!!!

maybe Someone will create a trans dimensional power delivery device!

the mirco ped sounds very cool. Even if tethered to a ton of wires

Neil

In my opinion even the HS-85MG servo is not up to the task of supporting a multi servo biped. I have seen a few mechanical wonders that use them sucessfully, but they only use 2 or 3 servos and use mechanical linkage to make walking possible. Of course this is very limiting and not terribly exciting to watch, I.e. toddlerā€¦ In my opinion, and I have experience using these in 12 and 18 servo hexapods, itā€™s a VERY challenging propasition. Be prepaired to make the brackets using 1mm aluminum. They must be made as lightweight as possible to the point that if you drop it it will likely be damaged. You will need to use LiPo batteries and make your own electronics to be as small as possible. The reasoning is the micro servos are just not up to the weight to torque ratio that the standard servos are, and there is no digital micro servo available. Iā€™m not even going to discuss gear replacement as you teach it to walkā€¦ :open_mouth:

I agree with Jim that it might not be terribly exciting but I definitly think itā€™s doable with sintra and a design along the lines of SixPac. Hereā€™s a little blurb on working with sintra.

solarbotics.net/starting/200 ā€¦ intra.html

The best way to tackle this would be to try to setup a surface mount board with a chip that can handle a bootloader and to use a small 2 cell LiPO with voltage regulation (to make the servos last). I also wouldnā€™t try it without MG servos. The project would be a constant play between weight and servo power. I think it would be really cool to have a little guy like this strolling around a coffee table. :laughing:

Cheers, Harry

Perhaps one of the solid works guys can scale the current brackets to micro servo size and run stress simulations on it with different materials to make a scientific strength required vs. weight type of material comparison. I know the ME guys here can do this kind of stuff but they kinda groan and have meetings to go to when I walk in and start asking about these types of things. :unamused: :smiley:

so that is what I need to start doing when a BSA comes a visits me :slight_smile:

BSA :question:

Biz system Analist

I am a programmer

well, idk if i would have a head on him, to cut down on the weight and stuff, plus i would make the C brackets as close as possible to the multipurpose, to allow for minimal stress on the servos, idk, its just a thought, itd look cool 8) :laughing:

Itā€™s rather funny that you posted this and I somehow missed it, since I had emailed Jim about almost exactly this only a few days ago.

After hearing what he said about microservos and their gears, I decided to go with standard servos in this upcoming project:

Iā€™ve no qualms with making a tiny control board, cutting brackets, or using LiPos, but frequently destroying servo gears scares me!
:open_mouth: