MicroSanguino

Okay this is just a concept at this point, but If it generates enough interest i’ll begin finishing the design. I want to take the Sanguino, Arduinos Middle child (40 pins) and put it on a fully integrated 40 pin DIP circuit. The board will feature onboard FTDI, the Atmega644p in VQFN form factor, and onboard voltage regulators. All of this, in a 40 pin DIP Form factor! So if you are interested, please post below so we can fine tune this potential project.

The Sanguino is awesome!

The Sanguino is awesome! Great for projects that need a bit more than a standard Arduino, but less than an Arduino MEGA.

How much size (width and length wise) will the MicroSanguino cut off of the original Sanguino?

Also, instead of FTDI, what about using the same way the Arduino UNO does it? (with the atmega8u and LUFA)

As for size cutoff, Its the
As for size cutoff, Its the same size as a 40 pin dip, so I think its pretty big?
Also, I’ll have to do some research into the ATmega8u and LUFA way, Although the FTDI chip is really really easy.

Okay, so the Sanguino is
Okay, so the Sanguino is 3.96" x 1.335", this board is 2.08"x 0.6", so like a 77% reduction in size!

Wow. Tiny package, big idea!

Wow. Tiny package, big idea!

I’m interested

I have a robot project that is eventually going to need more pins than a standard arduino can provide.  Currently I’m using a boarduino so I can breadboard it easily.  This looks like a good solution to having more IO without going to a big 'ol Mega.

I don’t really care about the FTDI because I have a cable, but the voltage regulator is essential.

Thanks

Found this board, the

Found this board, the Crumb644. Looks almost identically to your design, except using a CP2102 USB UART bridge, has a RS485 chip onboard but no onboard voltage regulator. That is just what I need for a non-robot project. I have ordered 3 boards today.

For your design you should at least add a 6pin ISP header.