microbot

dont forget you need to fit the boards on there too, so leave space

You could put 2 nine volts in parralel and attach a 5v regulator to them that way you wont burn the servos and have a battery that lasts twice as long. Its a good idea, just be sure to connect them correctly and put it into parallel circuit not series or you’ll smoke your servos.

are you sure about that because when i ran a test i used two
9V batteries and nothing bab happend
so mabey it’s just my luck :laughing:

but what i don’t get is that wouldent 6V not be enough because your
using four servos am i not right :question:

that was luck, trust me, DONT DO THAT AGAIN… If you want, do what I said, and make sure you put that 5v regulator or you’ll be taking a trip back to your hobby store for some new servos.

but can’t fit a two 9V on the robot because the robot is as big as the mini atom bot board so its not possible to put two of them on it

is there a such thing as a 3V regulator?

hmm, not sure on that one. anyways, could it be possible to put a 9v on each leg to balance and distribute weight evenly? also, you can get a sctotcky diode to regulate the 5v which is as small as a button.

Ok look. Some of us have been working with servos for many many years. We are trying to help you. If someone tells you that you will burn up your servos on 9 Volts. Listen to them. Or don’t and learn the hard way.

A single servo requires 4.8 volts. 2 servos require 4.8 volts each. If you run 9 volts to both of them they will both fry. They don’t know how to “share” the voltage. The more you add, the faster they will drain the battery not the more voltage you need. The difference between VOLTAGE and Capacity or current draw is repeatedly explained in the links I provided you with.

If you read the links I provided they are the basic knowledge you will REQUIRE in order to understand the difference between voltage, amps, watts, discharge, capacity, etc. If you want to know why you can’t use a nine volt, even after we have explained it, read the links.

Or use the nine volt and start shopping for the HS-81’s you need.

i know cause i am listning but im asking if theres a 3v regulator.

hmm, im still confused evolution…If he uses a 5v regulator on 1 9v powering 2 servos and another 5v regulator powering the other two, would that not give him a good amount of voltage to run the servos? hmm, i know that the batteries would probably drain very quickly…but would’nt it be plausible?

no i said it takes up to much space

oops! almost forgot this was a microbot…but I think it would work if there was room anyways… :laughing:

yea it would work if it wasn’t a microbot
but is there a 3v regulator?

not that I have ever seen. I dont think there would really be a high demand for 3v regulators, which is probably why i have never seen one or they just seese to exist.

oh realy
i found alot of it from google
here it is from ebay cgi.ebay.com/LM1117-3-3V-800mA-R … dZViewItem
this myte be where i am going to get it from :unamused:

hmmm, didn’t realise they made scotchy diodes that regulate 3.3 v…but didnt evolution just say that you will need to power your servos with atleast 4.8v to give them enoguh power to work?

aahhh yea but 9v regulated by 3.3v is 5.7v
is that two much.

thats not how it works…if you put a 3.3v regulator on a 9v, its going to regulate 3.3v of output instead of the entire 9v output. It dosent drop the current down by 3.3v…Atleast thats what I know.

i don’t think thats how it works try looking it up on www.wikipedia.com

There are plenty of 3-volt, and especially 3.3-volt regulators out there to be had - they’re quite common in electronic devices these days. Digikey lists literally thousands of component matches when searching for 3.3 volt regulators.

I’m not entirely sure just how much good that will do you though, since the torque delivered by the servos at that voltage will be greatly reduced, if they work at all. Similarly, the logic that you use to control them probably requires 5 volts to operate (I know that the Pololu and SSC-32 controllers are both rated as being 5-volt devices.

I just fired up the SSC-32, and tested one of those little B-8 micro servos, using my bench supply to provide variable supply voltage to it. All tests were performed while feeding the SSC-32 from a regulated 6-volt source. It worked normally from 6.00 volts, down to around 4.30 or so. At 4.30, it began to get twitchy, and had trouble holding position reliably. At about 4.10 volts, it rotated fully clockwise until it hit the physical rotation stop, and would no longer respond to position commands. At that point, torque was still enough to keep it pinned to the stop, but it could be pushed away by hand, to return on its own when pressure was released. I’m afraid that if you use 3 volts to power these little servos, they’ll just spin to the clockwise stop and sit there, unresponsive.

see :smiley: