Mecanum Wheels prototype

Hi!

I require your help regarding a problem I’m encountering. I am new with RC cars/robots.

Description:
I am looking to build a basic prototype that is a lightweight 4WD 12" X 12" chassis sitting on mecanum wheels controlled by a remote. The platform is to move in all directions which means each mecanum wheel has a separate motor.

Hardware concerned:
What are the essential parts I need for this project?
Is there a all in one motor controller and receiver that would do the job?

Software concerned:
Is there a pre-programmed controller available to use?

Troubleshooting steps already taken:

Additional information:
The weight, speed, and agility of the prototype are the key features.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

@RomeoRobot Whynot get inspiration from existing mecanum rovers?
https://www.robotshop.com/en/4-wheeled-development-platforms.html

Ex:

If you’re not sure about what’s involved in making a mobile robot:

It’s a series with the links at the top.

As for specifics, this might help, though it’s not made for Mecanum motion which involves a lot more friction when moving side to side.

Thank you for your quick reply. I have seen the models you mentioned and there are couple of concerns that your thoughts on them are greatly appreciated.

1. Speed is a big factor and based on my research on the models you shared, they may not deliver what I am looking for.
  2. Depending on how successful the prototype is, there is a good chance of large quantity production of the complete prototype. Therefore cost will play a big part here.
  3. I am a software engineer and unfortunately lack the experience assembling such delicate project. Any suggestion who might be able to help building this type of prototypes?

Thanks,

Speed for mecanum is hard to get, and obviously speed changes in terms of direction (side to side is a low slower than forward and reverse).
In terms of design, prototyping etc., you might try a local university’s engineering department and hire some 4th year students (start with mechanical engineering). Honestly, you can create a prototype mechanical system with:

• Wood board as the “frame”
  • four gear motors
  • four compatible 90 degree motor mounts
  • set of mecanum wheels
  • four hubs which connect the wheels to the motor shaft
  • two dual motor controllers
  • battery (same voltage as the motor’s nominal voltage, and able to provide enough current)