Marvin The Munny

I was given a project in school. We could design one of these blank Munnys and I ended up with my new desktop-companien, Marvin The Munny. We were asked only to paint it to give it a new character but no, I wanted to go deeper I knew I would take it apart.

Still first things first. A sketch of my work had to be drawn. I was inspired by the robot called Marvin out of the film "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy". After that, I cut open Munny`s head, to get a good look inside and to see how much space I had to play with. For the blinking eyes I cut out two triangular holes and insterted cut-to-size car-reflectors I happend to have found, the day before. My father occasionally assisted me with the wiring of the LEDs and the PIR detector in his belly.

For safety reasons I added a 200 mA fuse. It was a tight squeeze to get the wires into the body.

In the bottom of the wand you can see a magnet that triggers the On-Off reed switch, that`s located in his right leg.

Magnet position: up = Off                                               Magnet position: down = On

Here the "piece de la resistance". To charge him I use a Magnet based charging system.

As you can see, the Munny is in the wrong position, the magnets repel so he won`t short himself out.

In the correct position he gets attracted by the base the magnets snap together and he starts charging.

A quick look inside the Charging station:

So this is Marvin the Munny and as I`m typing his page on LMR he occasionally blinks at me and makes me feel happy.

Keeps me company by blinking his eyes

• Actuators / output devices: LEDs, Reed switch
  • Power source: 3.7V LiPo minature helicopter battery
  • Sensors / input devices: PIR Motion Sensor

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/marvin-the-munny

Switch and Charge

Amazing job young man. Great to see the diversity on how you use magnets. Switch and charge. Rock on!

Merci vil mol

Thanks man, Appreciate it.

“Merci vil mol”

Well done and good

Well done and good documented. I also was thinking what a Munny is…now i know :slight_smile:

Great idea with the magnets against shorts…

Cute! A very nice project,

Cute! A very nice project, indeed. Thumbs up for a nice modification to a blank slate of a product.

Switzerland

Ah… Switzerland. Fine then. Guät gmacht. Witer so.