Making a pretty powerful servo usefull with a feedback option

Hello there,

I found that little servo (ARS-3216HTG+HV) and it is pretty interesting with is 25kg-cm of torque and 280 degree of travel. The problem is that I need something of this caliber, but with feedback and, if possible, more complex control option, similar to those offered by the SSC-32U. I’ve made my own research and I found an old, but pretty interesting, project called openservo. It website is now unavailable, but I find its file on Github. Does anyone know if there is more recent or more viable option?

If anyone need to know why I need these feature, I’m actually working on a robot arm that have an hand with five finger, which ones are comporting four phalanx that need to be stopped when they touch something and not crushing an object with overwhelming torque, melt the motor or obliterate the gearbox when I’m trying to grab something.

Openservo is a cool project but AFAIK it is no longer developed and it looks like nobody sells pcbs. Force sensing i think is essential for serious robotics but sadly not to many torque controlled actuators are available to hobbists, this market is dominated by dynamixel, and unless you buy their lowest end actuators you have to dig deep into your pocket. In a robot hand where actuators are close to eachother you can bypass the servo controller with your custom h-bridge and motor current sensor and you can read the potentiometer position with one microcontroller which has enough adcs. Or you can just use a load cell for every finger.

Well… since the is no way that I’m paying for a dozen of 100 bucks dynamixel servo and that I need to avoid artisanal modification that take a lot of space within a pretty small volume, I guess that I will need to resurrect the openservo project with my inexistant electronic skill…