Makeblock orion usb port for power

I want to be able to use a micro usb cable to connect from the orion to a RPI zero. This connection would be to power ther RPI and to be able to send commands back and forth.

I have been able to do this with other Makeblock and RPI products with std USB cables.

I was able to power the RPI with a USB to micro usb cable from my PC. Iyt worked in both the power and usb ports on the RPI zero.

When I try a micro usb to micro usb cable from the orion, the RPI will not boot up.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hello @rojoamigo and welcome to the forum!

You are going to need the Me Shield

1 Like

THanx for the reply. I have the Me Shield and it works but takes alot of space on the RPI Zero WH, where I also want to use the camera. It would also not help with a RPI Zero W.
If you look at
https://github.com/Makeblock-official/PythonForMegaPi

the third diagram, under wiring is titled
Using USB Cable for Me Orion or Me Baseboard

After discussions on Raspberry PI forum, my testing showed:

• power PI Zero with power bank thru PI power micro usb port
  • connect PI and orion (arduino) with a micro usb to micro usb cable
  • connection shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0 which my python program uses to send/receive commands
  • since the cable is also a On-The-Go (OTG) cable, it powers to arduino.

I was then concerned about the Arduino receiving power from both the micro usb port (5V) and from my 6x1.2 battery pack to the arduino power port. Especially since I use 6V servos.

A review of the arduino forums appears to indicate that the Arduino circuitry is smart enough to use the higher power and then switch over to the lower. THis means that when I turn off the power switch on the arduino, it still receives power thru the PI cable.

It is a puzzle that one cannot find micro usb to micro usb cables which are NOT OTG.

1 Like

Hi @rojoamigo thanks for posting this information!

1 Like