Lynxmotion SES V2 Hexapod Robot

@xan Happy to create a few prototypes of Kurt’s board above and open to ideas / suggestions / modifications. mechdickel might be curious to try it as well for the quadrapod.

@kurte Have not tried yet, nor done any research, but the communication protocol for the PS4 has been hacked and is useable by hobbyists? Have you seen anything regarding the PS5?

@zenta Been a while since you’ve posted here… hope all’s well?

I’m in. Never played with Teensy, but given some time I can try something with the quad.

Also interested in the Lynxmotion remote project.

@cbenson, @kurte,

I’m definitely interested in having an easy way to connect and mount all be boards. :slight_smile:

@kurte, from looking at the LSS-AB wiki-page it seems that it would be possible to use the XBEE socket on the LSS board and route the RX/TX pins to the (teensy) board.

@cbenson, I was curious about your PS4/5 question as well so I did a quick google search. I found an instructables.com page with instructions on how to get it to work with an arduino.

@kurte, when talking about the USB port, I assume this is the USB host that is included for the Teensy 4.1. Is this correct? If so, this might open up the PS4/5 option.

1 Like

Quietly watching with interest…!

BaggyMajesticAsianconstablebutterfly-small

2 Likes

My Teensy 4.1 is on its way (with extra RAM, Ethernet module, etc.)… eagerly waiting its arrival… :smiley:
Looking forward to trying it out… those specs are… just wow… :smiley:

2 Likes

Looking forward to running some RTOS on it… Any of you have recommendations? I mean, Free RTOS is of course super popular… and I was maybe considering Micrium OS also… Anything else I should consider to tame this powerful beast of a microcontroller board?

@kurte As always, well done. To confirm, the board in your last message:

1. Same mounting / size as the LSS Adapter / Raspberry Pi?
  2. Teensy 4.0 / 4.1 compatible (adapt?)
  3. Barrel connector (adapt for XT60?)
  4. Standard shield compatible?
  5. Onboard voltage regulation
  6. USB type A (as 5V power out or general purpose?)
  7. 2x LSS connectors (any worries about power conflicts with 12V applied to the Vin pin with other power sources connected, for example barrel and Ext?)
  8. Breakout of all Teensy pins on “sides”
  9. Would JQW, JQW1 be used / useful?
  10. PGM = programming button?
  11. You mentioned XBee headers, but to confirm, not on this board?
  12. The ON/OFF looks like a button as opposed to a switch?

Anything else not mentioned? Suggest a slight name change to avoid confusion with the “LSS Adapter”

Regarding the controller,

a) Any insights into the Arbotix Commander?

b) There are generic / clone PS4 controllers out in the $30-$40 price range and it is certainly full of buttons and ergonomic. Not sure if robotics enthusiasts can / will make use of the vibration motors and touch pad. The PS4 release date was Nov 2013 (~ 8 years ago). I had purchased a second hand PS4 a few years ago at amazing discount but sold it a while back.

The PS5 is advertised as being used with Android / PC via Bluetooth, though it’s still in the $90 range.

c) RC / PWM transmitters are here to stay, and there are many options. Not too “robotic” though (but just an opinion) since they don’t allow for feedback.

d) To confirm, the consensus of this group is that using a smart phone & app is not the best approach because of communication issues (Bluetooth)?

1 Like

Morning @cbenson and all -
If you are talking about the last board I posted that allows you to plug in an Arduino shield, I was playing around some yesterday and removed the T4 USB pins and the like to simplify some. Here is a 3d rendering of the changed version:

The actual changes were not extensive:

Hopefully the 3d picture answers a few of the questions, but to follow on:

1. Was setup to have same layout mounting holes.

2. Mainly right here setup for T4.1 if using USB (could probably also use T3.6). Without worrying about USB should work for T4 as well. But maybe would need to verify which pins beyond T4 have functionality on them

3. Yes I currently have barrel connector obviously could change to something different if needed

4. Yes and No. That is for the most part pins just go through as 3.3v and are not 5v tolerant. However I do have 4 TTL level shifters setup to convert to/from 5v on 4 of the shield pins. Those that your shield works with for LSS Servos and XBee. There is also a hack on the board that allows you to jumper what goes to D9 on the shield (either D9 or D7). Why? so that the XBee can be mapped to hardware Serial port

5)Voltage regulator - it is currently setup to use a Pololu DC to DC converter which is the green blob to the right of the USB Host. Could switch to something else, used to use Murata ones like that were on the Arbotix boards, switched to these as have larger voltage range, not that it maters here.

1. USB Type A (Host) is setup to use whichever +5v is supplying power to Teensy. Have switch to either use USB in or External power through the DC/DC converter.

2. The 12V for the servos is connected to the VIN. My assumption is they are one in the same, and for example you can plug in the 12v to your shield and use it to power everything.

3. Yes I breakout all of the IO pins (or at least most). I don’t break out the SDCard pins as well they are only on the SDCard and I don’t break out the bottom pins that are used for memory chips. Although if you are not using other memory chips you can break those out as well.

4. JQW/JQW1 are I2C connectors that are compatible with Sparkfun QWIIC devices as well as Adafruit Stemma QT devices so for example if you would like a simple display to plug display some info, you can just simply plug in something like:
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15890

5. PGM - yes program - often not overly useful as you have one on the Teensy itself, but if you have a shield over the teensy than this makes it easier to simply reach in.

6. XBee connection on your shield. Could of course create a version that has XBee connectors directly and avoid the need for additional Level shifters

7. ON/OFF button - The T4.x has an on/off button which can sort of suspend the Teensy. More details are now on the Teensy 4.1 page:
    https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy41.html#power
    If you have not looked at the processor pages in awhile, you might want to take a look as there is a lot more information on them now.

I will continue on controller to next message.

Again let me know if there are things you would like changed.

2 Likes

@cbenson and all

Continue to controllers:

a) Arbotix Commander - It looks like they discontinued it. I know Matt was leaning that way. It was simple shield that plugged into an 3.3v Arduino Uno (Seeedstudio at one point). It was a nice simple XBee controller. They are likewise probably discontinuing their Arbotix controller board and going to an Robotis OpenCM9.04 board, which they looking to use an PS4 controller interfaced through an RPI Zero W…

b) PS4 controllers - As you said there are probably clones out there. I have one official one from Amazon… There are tons of PS3 clones out there and some are really cheap. Both should work with our USB support. Rumble and the like. We do have support for as well as LEDS. Not sure if we have support in yet for touchpad area of PS4 or not.

PS5 controller - I don’t have any yet, and not sure how well we might support them yet. That is most of our support has been done through reverse engineering of watching which USB messages are sent back and forth and emulating. And we do have some Bluetooth support which is what PS3 and PS4 are using.

But some of us were in the process of adding additional support to for example support the Nintendo Switch controller and better support for XBOX One… and with some of the newer ones they are using some higher level Bluetooth

More details in the thread: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/49358-T3-6-USB-Host-Bluetooth?highlight=Nintendo

c) RC transmitters - I started playing some with the one I mentioned after a Trossen user jwatte mentioned that he was using or at least experimenting with them, especially with the Mech war stuff, as I believe that they have less interference and the like over things like BT. Could be wrong. As for feedback, the one I was playing with has some levels of feedback, that they can do. For example I believe they can be setup for the airplane or the like to be able to send some fixed things back like battery power to the remote, which can be displayed. Will look to see if I posted anything about this.

d) Smartphone and the like, don’t know, I really never experimented much with these. Especially with the programming for the phone itself.

Again I open to most anything. As for new support for different USB devices, can work on that. Maybe some of the other PJRC users may play along as well. If you look through the different USB Host threads up on their forum you will see there are just a handful of us who have done most of the playing

Now back to playing

2 Likes

Hi @kurte,

Thanks for the clarification. The 3d render really helped.

One question regarding point 3:

Might it be possible to power the shield directly from the LSS adapter without the use of an additional power connector?

1 Like

Yes - I tried to imply that in my 7. above, but was probably not very clear. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the clarification! I think it was me misreading it… :sweat_smile:

Speaking of remote controls… @raess ported ROS to a Nintendo switch. I don’t find anything online indicating anyone else has done that before.

2 Likes

That’s cool!

Kurte - Do you have those DipTrace files already ?

Hi @dialfonzo

Yes all of this has been done in DIptrace. I have pushed up the files to github, but I think I may do a slight reorganization of the project to make these files easier to find.

I have also been hacking on my current other non shield version and am close to wanting to order some new ones to try. Probably by end of day or tomorrow, I will order set of both:

This one is looking like:

I increased the size slightly, moved speaker down to end area to hopefully not get covered up by Adafruit STxxx display if used.
I may also move those pins back down a bit to give more reoom. Right now I have it you can use a jumper to choose which pin. That is the SND pin on the 2x5 connecter. I may give one more option of pin 10, and then change pin 10 on display CS to something else. This allows to play with one of the MQS pins for sound…

2 Likes

For the heck of it, I will be ordering a group of both of these, which will probably take about a week or so… Then probably need to maybe order a few parts to fill, will fill in excel document with parts…

The slight updates I did:

As I mentioned above, I routed Pin 10 to another pin near my Sound jumper to experiment with. So with just using a shunt, you can choose pins 40, 41, 10… I also moved the T41 down a little bit as to make it hopefully easier to plug in SD Card if one wants to. …

Will have all of the files I order from up on Github.

EDIT: Ordered, BUT may take awhile as tomorrow starts CNY…

2 Likes

Looking good @kurte!

Thanks.

Quick note: on the shield version, the one I earlier assembled to use with the:

On my board I did not install the Voltage Regulator and the like, as when I power the board using the connectors on the shield, the shield has it’s own Voltage regulator, which I believe fed the +5v pin into the Teensy.

Hi @kurte,

Thanks for the additional information. I’m planning to power everything with a single lipo. So if I understand it correctly there will be no need to install the voltage regulator for me.

I’m probably overlooking something but; when using the board with the LSS-Adaptor board, the voltage regulator, power connector (Barrel) and LSS connecters become redundant. Is this correct? :thinking:

If so, might it be possible to skip those components so we can make both boards the same size?

I’m just putting my thoughts out here. I’m pretty sure you have those compontents there for a reason so I’m happy to learn :slight_smile: