Lynxmotion PS2 controller v4 receiver issues/using v1 receiver with v4 controller

Hello

I’m working with a Lynxmotion PS2 V4 and Arduino Mega with an LSS adapter board attached. I recently had trouble with the receiver that was resolved here: Issues communicating Lynxmotion PS2 v4 with Arduino Mega. Since then the controller has been working beautifully for what I need it to do.

This is for a project that I’m working on together with my roommate, and earlier this week we purchased another PS2 V4 controller and receiver for us to use, and we have had both hooked up and working for about a day.

Today when I try to run my code (which involves printing to the serial monitor to confirm that the controller is connected), my controller would not connect. The controller LEDs and the receiver LED remain solid, but the controller itself is not communicating. The setup code has not been changed since the last time it was working, and neither has the wiring. My roommate is using the same code, hardware, and wiring setup and it is working fine (a picture of the set up is in the forum post I linked to above).

I tried running the PS2X example code for Arduino Mega from the Lynxmotion PS2X Arduino library and had the same issue. For process of elimination, my roommate and I switched out various components in our setups, and my problem was solved by using her receiver with my controller, breakout board, and Arduino Mega. When she uses my receiver with her setup, neither controller is able to connect. We’ve determined that the problem is with this receiver, but we are not sure about steps we can take to fix it. We did see that Lynxmotion sells the V1 PS2 controller receivers here: https://www.robotshop.com/en/ps2-wireless-receiver.html.

Can a V1 controller receiver be used with a V4 controller? Are there any steps we can take to fix the receiver we already have?

Thank you!

I’ve also attached a copy of the code I was trying to run, in case that is useful. The initial code that connects the controller is copied from the PS2X Arduino Library. Canfield_Joint_Control.zip (3.1 KB)

1 Like

Hey @ekjaynes
Glad to hear you continued working on your project!

This definitely looks like a damaged receiver. The best would be to replace the receiver with a new one.

It may be interesting to open the case of the receiver and see if anything is amiss, but really, as said above, a replacement would be the best option here.

The V1, V2, V3 and V4 all use slightly different proprietary protocols and therefore none of them are compatible with any other versions.

I’ll close this topic and convert it into a support ticket. Once you receive an email from our support centre, please reply with your order number and confirm your address for shipping the replacement. Our RMA team should be in contact with you on Monday morning (EDT).

Sincerely,

1 Like

This topic was transferred to internal RobotShop Support.