Lynxmotion (LSS) - Adapter Board

Is it essential to use the Lynxmotion (LSS) - Adapter Board to operate the ST1 smart servo? Or is it possible to run the servo independently of this board?

1 Like

Hi,

Welcome to the RobotShop Community.
The LSS servos use 5V UART TTL for serial communication (Tx, Rx). The pinout of the LSS connector is as follows: Rx, VCC, GND, Tx as indicated in this Wiki page. You can use whatever 5V USB-to-Serial converter board to communicate with the servo through a PC while the servo is powered (6V-12V) on the VCC and GND pins.
The LSS Adapter provides a convenience for a straight-forward connection to the LSS and acts as the same time as a power distribution board for the servo.
Another way to power/communicate with the servo would be to use an LSS Power Hub and an LSS 2IO Board
More information can be found in the board’s Wiki pages:

2 Likes

Thank you for the information! I am intending to drive the smart servo with an RC pwm signal. I have downloaded the lynxmotion software to program the servo. How do I connect the servo to the computer in order to do the programming? Can you recommend the appropriate device? Thank you!

You can actually set the LSS to RC Mode without the need of connecting it to a computer. All you have to do is to power the LSS (6V-12V) and use the LSS Button by following this diagram and the LSS LED as a visual feedback.

1 Like

The button menu is an interesting approach to programming the servo, however it is far from intuitive. I would prefer to use the software as I would like to program accelerations as well. What is the best way to connect the servo to communicate with the software?

1 Like

As mentioned previously, the best way (most straight-forward) to connect the LSS to computer would be to use an LSS Adapter and a 6V-12V Power supply with an XT60 connector as this one.

1 Like