LynxMotion J5 questions

Hello, I was looking to reach out to someone at Robotshop, or to talk to someone in sales, and it pointed me here on “ask and expert”

I’m looking to build a full Lynx motion J5, it does indicate it does not come with batteries/eyes but i also didn’t see the tracks motors listed either.
I’m looking at buying

and then of course batteries
6v-2800mah-nimh-battery
120v-2800mah-rechargeable-nimh-battery-pack

But i’m not sure this is the entire list of items i should be purchasing. Is there a fully loaded list/package that can be bought with all motors/batteries?
Or is this really the only list i need?

Just trying to sort out my cart before i buy to make sure i have everything… and feel like something aint right :slight_smile:

Lyght

i’m also curious on the ID/OD to see if these two units could fit, to make a kind of upgrade for J5, if the rotating base would fit on the rugged-mecanum rover.

Hi @Lyght Welcome to the RobotShop Community.

You’d need a 6V pack for the servos, and a 12V pack for the main drive motors. What you propose seems fine, though the 2800mAh pack won’t fit inside the chassis - you might have to use the 1600mAh. Also, be sure to get an appropriate battery charger like:

There’s no code for the “eyes”, which are not included

The description gives a range of sensors which that bracket is compatible with, and you’ll need the corresponding wiring from the sensor to the board. Note that if you’re planning to use a sensor or more, you’ll need a programmable microcontroller like:

Finally, how do you want to control it? One option (if you are up to programming) is the PS2 connected to the BotBoarduino suggested above.

i’m also curious on the ID/OD to see if these two units could fit, to make a kind of upgrade for J5, if the rotating base would fit on the rugged-mecanum rover

You’d need to have the hatch on the bottom and drill four holes, but indeed the A4WD3 is much larger than the Tri-Track base. You’d need to really watch out for the arms and hands getting in the way of the wheels though, and think about control.

1 Like