Lynxmotion Aluminum A4WD1 MTS 12T Rover Kit Raspberry Pi

Hi! I am looking into using the above product with my robot, and I just wanted to verify if it was compatible with Raspberry Pi 4. I see that it comes with its own motor controller that you then connect to a microcontroller, but I just wanted to ensure if it could be used with Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

Hello @saraht504 and welcome to the RobotShop forum!

I’m guessing you’re referring to the RC version of the kit which is the one that includes the motor controller.

I see that it comes with its own motor controller that you then connect to a microcontroller, but I just wanted to ensure if it could be used with Raspberry Pi.

Yes, you can use the Raspberry Pi to control it.

You might be interested in checking this topic:

1 Like

To add to geraldinebc15’s reply, the Sabertooth is a great motor controller, but it’s good to be aware it’s not the only option. If you opt for the version of the A4WD1 MTS without electronics:

If you wanted to opt for a Raspberry Pi compatible DC motor controller, consider:

You would need to read the datasheet to know if it powers the Pi as well.

Note that you’ll still need a wiring harness, and likely need to drill four holes in the Lexan to mount the Pi using standoffs.

One consideration is that the RPi is powered either via USB or the pin headers at 5V, whereas the drive motors on the A4WD operate best at 12V. There’s a nice USB voltage regulator intended for the Lynxmotion SES V2 system which can work well if you want to use just one battery to power both the Pi and the motors:

2 Likes