Lynxmotion AL5D w/ Raspberry Pi

Can anyone point me to a tutorial that shows how to wire up and control an AL5D via a Raspberry Pi using Python coding?

1 Like

Hey @MicroLord,

You can certainly do this quite easily. Simply wire up your AL5D as normal to its SSC-32U and connect the provided power supply to VS1 (basically, follow the standard assembly procedure in this manual, minus the wrist rotate if you don’t have one).

Then, simply connect the SSC-32U by USB to your Raspberry Pi and make sure you have the pySerial library installed.

You can then use these examples from the Lynxmotion GitHub to get yourself started.
The basic example simply centers all servos (position = 1500 µs). Be careful, the arm may move suddenly when you run it!
The basic 2D IK (inverse kinematics) example allows you to move the arm to the desired X/Y position.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it and I’m looking forward to see what you build with your RPi/AL5D! :smiley:

Sincerely,

I am working on adding pressure sensors to the gripper the robotic arm that I am working on. I found this part:

My idea is to add one of these sensors to each finger of the gripper to sense the pressure that it is squeezing the object that it is picking up.

2 Questions:

1. Can I use two of these (one on each side of the fingers of a gripper) to sense the pressure that the gripper is grabbing something?
  2. Is this sensor able to feedback information into the controller board (either the SSC-32U or a Raspberri Pi) so that the gripper will grip at a specified pressure?

I appreciate any guidance.

MicroLord

Hi @MicroLord

It is great that you are customizing that arm :smile:

Answering your question, yes you can use those sensors to measure the pressure that the gripper is applying. The model you mentioned changes its resistance according to the force applied so you would only need to measure that. And yes, you can use that information to create a closed-loop control so that the gripper will apply a specified pressure. You can find some examples of resistance measuring using the Raspberry Pi here and here

One thing to notice is that the datasheet is not very specific about the calibration so you might to want to check out other Force Sensors. I suggest giving a look at the Capacitive options from SingleTact which are better for low-pressure applications.

I hope to see you sharing your project on the Robots section :grinning:

Great info here! Will do a little homework and post my progress. Thanks for the guidance!

MicroLord

1 Like

Perfect :smiley:

If you need any more help or maybe you want to share your ideas feel free to post again

Also, I saw this article in the news and thought you might find it interesting haha. Make sure you check the tactile sensors they use, they are even better than human fingers when it comes to identifying materials, pretty cool right?

Anyways, good luck with your project :wink: