LynxMotion AL5D, new SSC-32U, and PLTW FlowArm software

Just downloaded PLTW FlowArm to run with our new SSC-32U boards that we installed on our AL5D LynxMotion arms.

We can see that the AL5D is ‘found’ on the FlowArm software, but the robot is not responding.

Had to install a new FTDI driver for the new boards.

What do I need to look for or install to get the new PLTW FlowArm to work with the SSC-32U and be able to control the AL5D?

Hi SoCalMike,

Let’s check a few things to figure out what is going on:

1. Is the STOP button at the bottom left of the screen activated? If so, deactivate it and try to move the image of the arm on screen.

2. Does the “found” green light in the interface always stay on once connected to the right port or does it eventually turn off?

3. Are the LEDs A/B on the SSC-32U board turning on when the software connects / the “found” green light is on?
    You should normally see the green LED (LED A) blinking periodically once a connection is established.
    If the red LED (LED B) is blinking, then the connection is not working properly, usually due to a BAUD rate mismatch.

We await your reply to investigate your issue further.

Sincerely,

1. Stop button is deactivated. Arm image moves just the way it’s supposed to.

2. turns off after a few seconds.

3. They both blink when the found light goes on, but go off when the found light goes off.

By the way, we have been using these arms for a few years with the old SSC-32, just switched over. I am very familiar with FlowBotics, and FlowArm is just like it. It’s just the communication we’re having problems with.

thanks.

Mike

Hi SoCalMike,

If it turns off after a few seconds, this could indicate a baud rate mismatch.

If you press the button next to LED A/B (see image above) once, what is the status of the LEDs for the next few seconds?
Possibilities of baud rate: only green (9600), only red (38400), both green & red (115200) or neither (custom baud rate).

If your rate is 9600, then you should turn on the “Bluetooth” icon next to the COM port selection. Once it is blue (activated), it will force a baud rate of 9600. Then, re-select the COM port (triggers a re-connection) and it should connect properly again. If that is the case, the green LED should be blinking periodically on the SSC-32U.

Let us know how this goes.

Sincerely,

That did it. Wonderful!

Last question - as I install FlowArm on my laptops that the students will use, will i need to install that FTDI driver on all of them? I’m sure I do, just want to confirm.

Thanks, Sébastien !!!

Mike

Hi Mike,

We are glad to hear the situation is fixed!

As for the FTDI drivers, they will indeed need to be installed on any computer that you intend to use with FlowArm.

Good luck!

Sincerely,