Lynxmotion A4WD1 Rover Kit w/ Encoders Motor Specification

Hi,
I am interested in buying the Lynxmotion A4WD1 Rover Kit w/ Encoders platform, however there is a lack of motor specifications. I see that it is 12 V, and the gearhead is 30:1, but those are only marginally useful. Can you refer me to the motor part number and/or the specifications. Some of the basic things I am looking for are:

• Torque
  • Max revolutions per minute
  • Nominal unloaded current draw
  • Stall current

I am worried that the motors maybe under powered for long term ~4 Kg weight usage, largely on pavement.

Thanks,
Norm

@Norm5786 Welcome to the RobotShop Community.

The suggested maximum payload (including battery) for the A4WD1 is 5lbs = 2.2Kg

The motors are:

Specifications:

This having been said, you can purchase the frame, hubs and wheels, and use different motors.

(Includes hubs for 6mm shaft)
2x https://www.robotshop.com/en/28-talon-tires-pair.html

Compatible motors would be found here (ensure they have the correct mounting pattern):

Motors with rear shaft and/or encoder:

Ex: https://www.robotshop.com/en/12v-dc-motor-251rpm-encoder.html

Again, pay close attention to the mounting pattern which needs to be:

The issue will then be the tires, which are air-filled, and might compress quite a lot under a 4Kg payload, making it much harder to turn. You can see other 4WD platforms here:

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for that thorough reply. Of course I meant 4 Lbs, not 4 Kg. Teaches me for writing late at night. I also didn’t know I could get the chassis separately. Anyway, now that I have the specs I can do some math and figure out which ones I need. I have some GHM-04 motors for another project, and they work well, but you don’t seem to sell them any more (on the Canada web site anyway). Regardless, now I will be able to find something, maybe even planetary gear set :).
Thanks again,
Norm

Planetary gears likely won’t work with the A4WD1 chassis since the shaft is offset (and therefore needs spur). The manufacturer discontinued GHM-04 so you are correct that they are no longer available.

Can you tell us a bit about the application / project? We compile user request, input, feedback and applications etc. before starting a redesign / update.

Thanks for the tip on the planetary gears. I hadn’t thought abought the offset. As for my usage, it is a bit varied. First, you should know that that my current robot I have is for the Trinity College Fire Fighting competition. I bought the GHM-04 motors and a pile of sensors, then build my own base. A couple of other guys and myself designed our own control boards (most of us are EEs). This time I want something that can work outdoors, and secondary, in the house. We, as in the Ottawa Robotics Club, have an outdoor (parking lot) RoboMagellan competition, basically moving between a set of orange cones. In this application the weight is actually minimal as it is only the controllers, a camera, and a handful of sensors. For indoor use I will add a Lidar, a Pi or Jetson running ROS, and more importantly a robot arm, much like the ones you sell (and maybe other custom hardware to control things). Adding in the batteries, the weight can get close to 4 Lbs. So, In general, I want a versatile base for indoor and outdoor usage. My concern with the motors are to ensure a long term survival. I would rather pay more for motors now than have to buy a second set. There is a strong possibility I will actually build a slightly bigger base more suited to my exact needs. I should also point out that I have been looking at the Prowler, as it too has a good chassis and motors, but no encoders. However the building blocks one can buy from ServoCity is enticing, saving me from having to build parts.
Hope this helps. If you have any other question feel free to post, or PM me directly.
Regards,
Norm

1 Like

Much appreciated.