Lynx 6 robotic arm kit

I’ve inherited the Lynx 6 robotic arm kit using the Atom Bot Board and an SSC-12 V2 servo controller. I have it working with the program that was originally installed on it, but I want to switch it over to being controlled by a Raspberry Pi. Right now it can pick up a ping pong ball and place it on a connected arm to be thrown across the table. I see a lot of info on the SSC-32 but nothing on the SSC-12. Are these the same except for the number of channels? Is there software that can still be used on the Mini-ABB and SSC-12 V2 boards or moved to a Pi? Will the newer software work with this, LSS configuration, Flowarm LSS, etc? Any help is much appreciated. I’m just trying to see what my options are to continue to use these cool robotics and maybe modify it to do something else.

FlowArm and FlowBotics run on Windows operating systems, so they won’t work on a Raspberry Pi. The LSS Config and related software are ment for use with Lynxmotion’s smart servos and are therefore not compatible with the Hitec RC servos in your arm. If you choose to go the route of a Raspberry Pi, you can use the SSC connected via USB, but you’ll need to develop your own software. The rest of the arm will work as they’re normal RC servos. Alternatively you can opt for an RC servo controller in the form of a Raspberry Pi Hat.

1 Like

So, if I use windows will the FlowArm and FlowBotics work with my Mini-ABB and SSC-12 V2?

I’ve seen the SSC-32 connected to a Pi, but I couldn’t find any data on the SSC-12 to confirm it could do the same. I thought it would be able to connect to a Pi using the S/IN pin via serial. Is it that the software on the SSC-12 doesn’t support anything but the Mini-ABB board? My SSC-12 has an RJ-11 connector and the S/in pin which I use now to connect to the Mini-ABB board. To use serial I would have to have an RJ-11 to DB9 and then a DB9 to USB adapter?

Honestly don’t know. We don’t have either of those boards internally to confirm, and both software were made well after they were discontinued. Fortunately the software is free, so you can certainly try.

Is it that the software on the SSC-12 doesn’t support anything but the Mini-ABB board?

The firmware on the SSC-12 likely isn’t specific to any microcontroller or system and accepts specific commands. It’s really old though, so not sure where you might find the manual.

To use serial I would have to have an RJ-11 to DB9 and then a DB9 to USB adapter?

Honestly not entirely sure. If the designer only used the RJ11 connector for convenience but the pinout is not standard, you won’t get any communication using an RJ11 to DB9 adapter.

1 Like