LSS motor not working

Hi everyone, i have a problem with one of my LSS motors. the motor suddenly stop and it don’t response to the commands sent via the software and it don’t hold its position (i can move the horn with my hand and the motor can sense this change in position).
i restore the default setting and the problem still there. is this a mechanical problem ? and how can i handle it ?

1 Like

It sounds more like a component problem, like one of the internal discrete elements of the circuit failed open. That could lead to what you described. There’s no power to the motor, so that could be the motor power circuit itself or the control circuit that controls it. I think it’s probably gotta go in for service or replacement.

As always, this is just my take. There are many others here with far more depth of knowledge than I have. Sorry it’s happening to you! I’d love to see pics or vids of your project while it’s down.

1 Like

this video shows the current problem :

how can i request this ?

1 Like

@cbenson has helped me in the past and should be notified of this post. He’s able to push things into the private support realm. I’m just another guy in the community, as it were, but he should be able to get you sorted.

In the mean time, I looked at your video. I’m not really familiar with the LSS servos, so I’m sort of coming up to speed on this. The blink series shown in your video doesn’t appear to be entirely like any of the documented patterns. I would say it comes closest, at least at one point, to the unknown serial command pattern of red, paaaause, red, paaaause, repeat. The green blinks are throwing me off of that pattern though.

Couple of questions.
1.What basically were you doing in the general sense when the servo went down? (Changing code, testing, running sequence, etc.)
2. Was the servo powered at the time it went down? Communication and power circuits?
3. Did the servo fail while in operation? If so, was it in motion at the time? If so, was it under any level of load that could be close to it’s max safe limit?
4. Was there a thunderstorm at the time?
5. Any chance this is a communication problem?
6. What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow…

1 Like

@mark_1990 Correct, something seems off with the servo. Can you confirm how the servo is being powered, and whatever other electronics you are using? The more details you can provide the better. The LED pattern you’re seeing is abnormal and will likely result in an RMA exchange. Can you provide any details as to what was happening before the servo had this issue? We’ll try to sort this out ASAP. As caltain mentioned, we’ll likely move this to an internal support ticket under the RMA department shortly.

1 Like

The LED pattern seems to indicate a constant power-cycle that is messed up, as if the LSS is unable to boot fully / reboots continuously. @cbenson is probably on the right track and this will most certainly lead to an RMA. That being said, it would be good to know as much as possible about the situation to prevent it from happening again (see the questions from @cbenson)!

I use it in my robot prototype and in the last few days it gave a high backlash but then it suddenly stop. when power off its sound is to low (not normal) when i move it by my hand and it gets hot when i power it on.
the motor statue is really abnormal. yesterday i can’t power it as in the mentioned video now i can power it and i connect it to the software. there’s another video (LED is off because motor in the default setting)

and here’s the connection and an screenshot for the software (motor don’t response)
1 Like

We’ll convert this to an RMA.

This topic was transferred to internal RobotShop Support.