LSS Adapter - Smoking IC1

A few months back I purchased an LSS Adapter Board V1.0 that I haven’t used in about six weeks. Today, I plugged a fully charged, properly balance 3S LiPo into the board. It was balanced at 4.2V per cell. I had no servos plugged in and the two jumpers, JP11 and JP12, were not in use. My setup was just the adapter board and a battery.

Immediately after I plugged the battery in, IC1 that is directly behind the XT60 connector began to smoke. I let it sit for a few minutes and plugged a different, also fully charged and properly balanced, LiPo into the XT60 connector. No surprise, the smoke returned.

I am building an arm and I have five LSS servos that I quite like. However, this is the second problem I have had with the adapter. I sent one back already and it was replaced with the one that now smokes. Is there another solution to control the LSS servos?

Please advise.
thanks

1: overvoltage
I just read the specs of your lss-adapterboard and the max. inputvoltage isn’t specified?
Maybe it’s only made for 2S LiPo?

2: polarity
The XT60 connector is polarized . Did you check it matches your batteries polarity?

Please attach pictures showing the battery you are using and your LSS Adapter Board.

Sorry guys. So far this isn’t much help.

I don’t see the need to attach pictures as my setup is only the adapter board and battery. Many times before, I’ve used the battery with this board and its pretty well impossible to plug it in the wrong way. The connectors only fit one way.

Also, the LSS is spec’d for the 3S LiPo as indicated by the following webpage:

https://wiki.lynxmotion.com/info/wiki/lynxmotion/view/servo-erector-set-system/ses-electronics/ses-modules/lss-adapter-board/

and the link to the specifications that shows up in the power section.

I am reluctant to get another LSS Adapter Board because of the two failures I’ve had. Are there any other options available to me?

thanks
doug

Pictures would provide us a visual description of the situation and thus, more information about the situation to be able to help you better and faster.
From what you described, it should not have caused an issue on the LSS Adapter. The maximum input voltage of the 5V regulator on the LSS Adapter is 18V (which is far from the 12.6V of a fully charged 3S LiPo). Therefore, we can rule out overvoltage. Since you have already used the battery with the board and the connectors fit only one way, polarity shouldn’t be the cause of the issue. This leaves the cause to be probably a bad chip/soldering on the board. Please note that the return rate for this board is incredibly low since it’s pretty much straight forward to use.
We can replace your LSS Adapter and test the new one before we ship it to you.

This topic was transferred to internal RobotShop Support.