LR3 - how to improve functioning of it

The biggest cost of maintaining LR3 is the recurring need to replace DFI sensors. These sensors are constantly exposed to moisture and dust.

Do you know if there are any plans for improvement in this?

One DIY solution is of course to wrap transparent tape around the plastic brackets to seal them and prevent dust and moisture from affecting the DFI sensors.

But I do not understand why these plastic brackets are not completely sealed from the beginning. Is there any sensible reason why they are open at the bottom?

I understand that the idea may have been that the opening at the bottom makes it easier to clean the DFI sensors. But this opening is the very cause of the problems with DFIs! And since the spare parts are sent with both DFIs and plastic brackets, I do not understand why the DFIs could not be sealed-in the brackets so that they would not be exposed to dust and moisture at all.

The second problem, though not as costly to maintain, is the anti-pinch pieces. Also these are constantly exposed for dust and moisture, need frequently to be replaced .

Do you have any practical ideas for how to easily protect these from dust and moisture?

I wish also for this problem some form of technical development from the manufacturer.

The third problem is the repeated need to open the base. Having to unscrew the plastic parts often, cannot be good for plastic material. Why can’t these parts be fastened with anything other than screws, which doesn’t wear out the plastic that the screws inevitably do.

3 Likes

Hi @Leif

You can see in this video one example on how to protect anti-pinch pins from corrosion: Litter-Robot 3 DFI Kit + Pinch Detect Terminals Installation - YouTube

Feel free to comment further.

1 Like

Hi,

If I understood correctly, the video you attached is just about the usual replacement of DFI sensors. Thus, the problem remains, they are still exposed to dust from litter and moisture from the bin. Or did I miss something significant related to the protection of these DFI sensors?

1 Like

Hi @Leif

I’ve put this video here because it is explained how to protect anti-pinch pins from corrosion (The second problem you mentioned).

For DFI sensor problem we don’t have any solution except replacing the board or eventually cleaning it with alcohol to remove rust or similar.

I am now returning to this topic after just over a year of testing to prevent dust and moisture from affecting the DFI sensors by sealing the plastic brackets with plastic wrap.

I have three LR3s for eleven cats and use high quality clumping and dust-free cat litter. Over the years, I have had recurring issues with DFI sensors, although I’m careful to empty and clean the LR3.

However, after sealing the plastic brackets with DFI sensors, I have not had any problems with them since then.

The question therefore remains; why these plastic brackets are open at all, why the DFI sensors are not initially sealed in the brackets to prevent them from being exposed to dust and moisture?

1 Like

Hi @Leif ,

Thank you for getting back to us and thank you for testing this out.

I am not sure if we will ever find our which Whisker (ex AutoPets), did design this way.

All we know now, if that they gave up from this design now with their new Litter Robot 4.

You can see comparison of LR3 and LR4 here: The Litter Robot 4 vs Litter Robot 3 | Full Comparison - YouTube

There are no more DFI sensors. There are not more anti-pinch pins. Cat detection is different, etc.

We will see how this new one works, once we get it.

This is good news! Do you know when LR4 will be released in Europe?

1 Like

We are working on that. Currently it is only available in USA directly from Whisker, but it should be available in Canada and EU via RobotShop later this year.

So well, I have to keep an eye out!
The other pleasing news I noticed when looking for LR4 on RobotShop EU, was that there is now an option for the shipping method. There is a considerable price difference between UPS shipping and standard shipping.

In all likelihood, the high delivery costs in the past have had a very negative impact on the decision of the consumer living here next to Santa Claus to financially invest in Litter Robot. The fact that UPS’s shipping price from Central Europe to the outskirts of the North Pole is more than half the price of the product itself hasn’t really encouraged the decision to buy. In other words, this opportunity to opt for the significantly cheaper standard shipping allows many Nordic cats with their humble servants to improve their quality of life.

1 Like

Hey Leif,

Just ran into your post after having the same issue. I was wondering, what method did you use to seal the sensor without interfering with it?

I simply wrapped transparent tape around the plastic brackets to protect the circuit boards from dust and moisture.

1 Like