Looking to power LEDs remotely, by nearby source

This is sightly outside the “robot” spectrum, but something I found see used on robots anyhow.

I’m looking to cosplay Samus from Metroid, and she has LEDs all over her suit. The suit would be built in pieces, put on as such, and the only other way would be too connect socket after socket to assemble the armor each time. This might also be uncomfortable

Is there a feasible way to power low-power LEDs from a nearby piece, so it’s fewer connectors or power sources? I’m looking at lights in the chest, knees, shoulders, and mask, only the first and last need to be higher powered, so I’d like to only have maybe 2-3 power sources, main being in a shoulder (fans in mask).

I’m slightly familiar with wireless energy transmission (Tesla), but hoping something small has been invented affordably towards this end. I found some LEDs with a charging base used for model LEDs, but figured I’d there’s anything for those more tech-saavy, those here might know.

Thank you!!

Hello @reidmere and welcome to the RobotShop community,

The only thing I could think of is a Magnetic-Coupled Resonance based device, like these:

However, the transmission distance isn’t very high and it shouldn’t be placed near metal objects (and I’m guessing the armor is made out of metal) so I think a better solution would be simply using small batteries (like coin cells).

I’m not entirely sure how the “Samus” costume is but I’m guessing it wouldn’t be made out of fabric, however, you might still get away with using wearable devices. Sparkfun has a wearable line called Lilypad which has some great products you may be interested in checking, for example:

https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/390

I hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply @geraldinebc15 !

To elaborate, the Samus “armor” will be crafted from Eva foam, specifically foam mats. I plan to hot glue wires needed to run, and cover some with sheet foam, since it’s not going to be high amperage (I’m looking at 5v 2a[3 max], possibly a inverter for 12v for fans/possible servos).

It’s compatible to Iron Man’s suit, but I WILL be using robotics in the arm cannon: but I designed most of that years ago. That may eventually connect to the helmet electronics, but I don’t seem to need help with that.

Basically, imagine wanting to power the chest piece and hand pieces wirelessly from his helmet, and the suit is Eva foam, if this helps elaborate?

I can’t open your links right now from my phone, I will look at them later, unless you think of a better idea by then :slight_smile:
Thank you!!

Hi @reidmere!

I know it has been a while but I just saw this and thought you could be interested: