Looking for ideas how to attach third wheel

CAM02285.jpg (1765164Bytes)

Hey guys I am slowly buildibg my bot this one will stand

roughly 4 feet high. Before I jump right in and start making

any cuts or add ons I was lookibg for ideas

what to use and suggestions on place ment.

I do have two more wheels of same size as the ones currently on the motors in the pic. Plus one smaller one. I 

am looking for the castor wheel type but as of now dont have a big enough one.

Try these places

Places like Tractor supply (They may be in Canada)

Harbor Freight

Or other harware stores.

or robot supply places like ServoCity or The RobotShop

new pic

I used another pic to show a better view.

The bar will point upwards.

The plastic box will house the battery and microconttoller.

I am thinking screwing on pice for 3rd wheel will be easiest.

You might have a good setup
You might have a good setup for a two wheeled balancing robot, though side pics would be nice. I’m not sure that the motors are up to that, though.

So far it looks interesting. To attach a third wheel I would suggest mounting the wheel (with screws) to a piece of wood or metal, which is in turn mounted to the rear of the bot. I’m suggesting this because it doesn’t look like the center box is very deep.

An approximate idea for placing the third wheel is by making an equilateral triangle for the positions of all three wheels.

You usually want your third wheel to be freely attached. That is, it should be able to swing freely so that it won’t drag.

Also, it’s almost always a good idea to put the caster in the rear.

I don’t know your history with buiding bot’s, but it’s a usually a good idea to start with a smaller robot.

Good luck and happy building!

Another option

would be to build a tall dragger rather than a three wheeled bot.

The US military (?) has a throwable bot that has two wheels and a tail to keep it oriented.

The caster doesn’t have to
The caster doesn’t have to be the same size as your drive wheels. Normally it is smaller. In your case I would use a thinner caster heel, because the caster should freely move. You can make any wheel into a caster by putting a small axle in it and building a frame that holds the ends of the axle freely and attaches to your bot, also with something that attaches freely.

I’d use ball bearings for the axle, and maybe a small lazy Susan bearing for the connection between the caster frame and your bot.

Yes, it takes a bit more work to do it that way.

If you want something prebuilt, you might be able to find casters for a power wheelchair online.